Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother PQ 1500s questions >

Brother PQ 1500s questions

Brother PQ 1500s questions

Old 04-18-2014, 10:03 AM

I have had mine for 14 years and have been very happy. Funny thing, I took the "be sure to oil regularly" advice a little too seriously and my tech told me I was oiling too much! Eventually, the needle threader broke and even though the tech said he fixed it, it never seemed to work again. I also found that the tension had to be adjusted frequently. These were issues I could live with until I had a stroke a year and a half ago which has left me with a slightly disabled right hand. When I finally returned to the sewing room, I decided I had earned a more automatic machine and finally bought my dream machine, a Bernina. The automation of threading the needle, loading the bobbin and easy tension adjustment has meant I can really enjoy quilting again. But if I had not had the stroke, I am sure I would still be very happy with the 1500s. I sure didn't get rid of it because you never know! Its a workhorse and will never have a computer glitch.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:26 PM

After debating about this for a long, long while, I ordered a 1500 earlier this week from Ken's Sewing Center. It is on backorder with Brother and they hope to have them in mid-May. I have a local Brother dealer who won't carry the 1500 since it is available online. She said it's a great machine but I should just deal with Amazon.

I decided on Ken's Sewing Center website because the price is very good; it has a reputation for good customer service; and has technicians in the store that can answer questions. I decided I couldn't call Amazon and ask to talk to someone if I have a question about how to adjust the tension or oil the machine! The lady I talked with at Ken's was super-nice and helpful on the phone. So, a month from now I hope to have this baby in my home. Maybe that will give me enough time to clean up the sewing room and make space for it!

I also looked at a new Brother Designio DZ 1500F on Amazon. It is the same as the 1500s package but comes with a needle felting attachment. I like the decals on it. I almost ordered it but then realized it didn't include the waking foot, which I want. And I'm not into felting. And I wanted customer service, which is available at Ken's. But take a look on Amazon if you're interested: Brother Designio Series DZ1500F High Speed Straight Stitch Sewing Machine.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:38 PM

I have one for few years now and I can,t imagine myself living without it....Its a GREAT machine....only keep in mind that it does only the straigh stitch... ( a very good one )... I just love the way it makes the free motion quilting... !!! Wonderful free motion ( stipling )..... Mantain it clean and oiled and you won,t part from it !!! Worth every penny !!!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:50 PM

I have the 1500, bought it use on Grace frame but haven't tried it on there yet...lol
My only issue was to do with fmq. I found the problem to be with the foot that came with my machine. Here is the link to the post I made with pictures showing what I found was "off" and what helped.:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...0-t153683.html
I also bought mine from Allbrands, at the time it was the best deal and I got free shipping.
Regards,
Kif
Old 04-21-2014, 09:17 PM

I had one for 18 months, just sewed fancy dresses and vest. It froze up needle down and would not move. I got rid of it. Sorry you asked.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:53 PM

I got mine last year and I absolutely love it. One thing I will say- be patient and persistent. The tension might not be (probably won't be) perfect for FMQ right out of the box, but don't be discouraged! If you're willing to invest the time to tweak here and there to get everything just so, the rewards are well worth it! I went through a frustrating bout of skipped stitches with my machine until I discovered where the presser foot pressure should be, where the needle tension should be, etc. Also, for whatever reason, mine really likes Isacord thread for FMQ. That thread was a godsend and now I just quilt and quilt until the bobbin runs out. Incidentally I purchased mine from Ken's Sewing Center as well.

Like I said, I'm crazy about this machine and I think you made a great purchase. I wish you many happy quilts with it!