Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
brother scan and cut >

brother scan and cut

brother scan and cut

Old 11-29-2014, 05:48 AM

You need stabilizer to cut. Otherwise, it's like trying to cut fabric with an exacto knife.

It's like the digitizing or customizing software - if you buy the software, there are usually bonus designs.
Brother includes some usable ones that you won't have to buy. You might not use them, but they are in the machine when you want them.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 11-29-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:33 AM

It does have a built in scanner and because of the way it cuts you don't have to buy additional dies to cut different shapes.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:30 PM

I would think that adding stabilizer to each piece of fabric could add up $$$ after a short while. I don't think this is going to be for me...unless they are willing to throw in a lifetime supply of stabilizer!
Old 11-30-2014, 07:07 AM

I have the more expensive one but here its about the cost of your cheaper one. The only difference in the two is that with the more expensive one you get all of the accessories and lots more built in designs. They both use the same things and have designs built into them its just a matter of the quanity. Its a great machine. There is a website they have so that you can design on it and then save down to your device making it easier because you aren't using the little screen on the machine. The machine will also allow you to scan documents, pics, etc to save on your pc so it has more than just crafting features to use. Other than that, they both do the same thing and both are very good at it.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
I would think that adding stabilizer to each piece of fabric could add up $$$ after a short while. I don't think this is going to be for me...unless they are willing to throw in a lifetime supply of stabilizer!
Not all fabric needs stabilizer, some you can use heavy starch too. I buy my stabilizer on the bolt on sale at Joann's or hancocks. Even Walmarts has it. Not to expensive. I already buy it for my emb machine too.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:11 AM

The built ins are lots of different things along with lots of quilt designs. You make the size anything you want, you can even have it draw the 1/4 in seam allowance or any other seam allowance right onto the fabric. Just google it and you'll see lots of tutorials on it, including at Brother's website.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
To cut fabric without adding stabilizer you need to add the fabric stabilizer sheet to the cutting mat. It is like applying a protective screen protector to your cell phone or tablet screen. The stabilizer sheet stays on the mat, so plan to make it a dedicated fabric mat, as opposed to one used for paper.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Holly H NY View Post
To cut fabric without adding stabilizer you need to add the fabric stabilizer sheet to the cutting mat. It is like applying a protective screen protector to your cell phone or tablet screen. The stabilizer sheet stays on the mat, so plan to make it a dedicated fabric mat, as opposed to one used for paper.
I guess I'm not understanding this...how could the machine cut through the fabric and not the stabilizer sheet every time? In my mind, I am kind of seeing this like fusible applique..where the stabilizer is always attached to the fabric...
Old 12-01-2014, 07:02 PM

How is it different from say a Silhouette cutting machine?
Old 12-02-2014, 08:22 AM

There are actually 3 out now. The purple is middle ground. Has less than the last one but lots more than the lowest one. The cheapest one is made for the mass retailers to sell. Trust me, if you look at all the items with prices beside of them, those are the cost of the added items, add those up and compare it too the cheapest one and you'll see that you more than get your money's worth buy buying the higher cost one. They all do the same thing and you can buy all of the stuff that goes with them but would spend more buying the extras for the cheapest one.