Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
brother scan and cut >

brother scan and cut

brother scan and cut

Old 12-02-2014, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
I guess I'm not understanding this...how could the machine cut through the fabric and not the stabilizer sheet every time? In my mind, I am kind of seeing this like fusible applique..where the stabilizer is always attached to the fabric...
Its not fusible fabric, its fusible clear, looks like fabric. It gets applied to the mat and has sticky stuff on the top so that you can put the fabric on it and it helps hold it in place while its being cut. If you have your blades up to high even the matt can get cut. After awhile the stabilizer will wear out and then you get a new one. I've also added spray adhesive, not permanent to my fabric when I needed a little extra to hold it to the mat. even though they say not too. I just give it time to dry before cutting
Old 12-03-2014, 12:35 AM

Thanks for the clarification roman ojg! Sometimes it's hard to visualize something if you can't see it.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:27 AM

I have the same question. The Silhouette is less expensive, and I don't think it scans, but since it connects to a computer and you can use a scanner to get the image onto the computer I didn't think this was a deal breaker. I would love to hear from someone who has seen and/or used both machines to get a comparison.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

There is a special on HSN today for the Scan and Cut with lots of extras for $399. I watched the presentation to see the demo of how it is used. It is amazing for papecrafts but she didn't do fabric just said it would cut one layer of fabric into whatever shape you wanted. My friend has one and wore out the cutting blade cutting enough squares for a quilt.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:24 PM

I have the Silhouette and it works just fine with any scanner I have. However, if you want to cut lots of pieces for a quilt, you'd be better off with an Accuquilt, Sizzix or Fuse. Those dies will last a lot longer and will cut more than one layer at once.

I normally only cut fabric I from stuff I draw or take pictures of, anyway. That means I can use the drawing software I'm familiar with and send the SVG file to the Cameo. I do some greeting cards and that's mostly the use for the Silhouette. I can make stamps and use those stamps with fabric paint, or paint on fabric itself with the Silhouette. That the Brother cannot do.