Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother Scan & Cut >

Brother Scan & Cut

Brother Scan & Cut

Old 11-22-2015, 10:04 PM

I've never seen a YouTube video where it takes an irregular shape & makes it 1/4" larger. I've only see videos & descriptions of it adding 1/4" to the piecing shapes. I've been looking at the Scan & Cut, too (and also the Klick N Kut) & like that it draws the 1/4" seam allowance on there, but I just wonder how that Add a Quarter function would work with some of the appliques I've done (e.g., spirals) where simply adding a 1/4" around the outline of the applique would overlap other sections of the piece.

Does anyone have any experience with using the Add a Quarter function on irregular shapes, especially ones that aren't already programmed in?
Old 11-23-2015, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I've never seen a YouTube video where it takes an irregular shape & makes it 1/4" larger. I've only see videos & descriptions of it adding 1/4" to the piecing shapes. I've been looking at the Scan & Cut, too (and also the Klick N Kut) & like that it draws the 1/4" seam allowance on there, but I just wonder how that Add a Quarter function would work with some of the appliques I've done (e.g., spirals) where simply adding a 1/4" around the outline of the applique would overlap other sections of the piece.

Does anyone have any experience with using the Add a Quarter function on irregular shapes, especially ones that aren't already programmed in?
You scan your design and save, then open the saved file and change your settings to allow for the 1/4" seam.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:39 AM

I have the Scan & Cut and have taught classes for both paper (beginning class to learn the machine) and than a fabric class. The class went away with applique cuts for a mug rug that I digitized and cut blocks for two nine patch quilt blocks. I use mine all the time for all my applique, especially those for ITH embroidery quilt blocks. With the update, I can actually take an embroidery design and load it into the machine without actually scanning it. There are multiple methods of using the machine and I love it.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by clb7122 View Post
I have the Scan & Cut and have taught classes for both paper (beginning class to learn the machine) and than a fabric class. The class went away with applique cuts for a mug rug that I digitized and cut blocks for two nine patch quilt blocks. I use mine all the time for all my applique, especially those for ITH embroidery quilt blocks. With the update, I can actually take an embroidery design and load it into the machine without actually scanning it. There are multiple methods of using the machine and I love it.
Question, I recently saw where you can do the applique on the brother emb machine and then save it too the usb but it was alot of editing. Is your way better. I don't have a Brother emb machine, I have the Viking Deluxe with software but love to use the scan n cut to cut the fabric instead of going in after the tack down stitches and trimming. I'd love some help, I'm updating mine this weekend, I don't have the bottom of the line, it was the second one out I think. Any help would be great
Old 11-24-2015, 12:46 PM

There is a ton of youtube videos...One that comes to mind is Crafty Gemini she has some great videos on the scan & cut ......

here is some videos
https://youtu.be/5p3_RBVBjS4
https://youtu.be/ujqrvSJWskI
https://youtu.be/ddhD1Go_8Ig this one is for the quilt blocks and it automatically adds the 1/4" when it cuts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddhD1Go_8Ig this has a view videos

Last edited by btiny36; 11-24-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:08 PM

Here is another video for quilt material
https://youtu.be/-S3FfZ8qNQU
Old 11-26-2015, 02:17 PM

Thank you ! I did not know that!! Appreciate you taking the time to add the links....
Old 11-26-2015, 02:22 PM

Yes, very helpful!! I do turned edge appliqué, using glue and turning the edges over a foundation that stays in....This machine could save me a lot if time I think.....Thanks again!
Old 11-26-2015, 02:26 PM

Thanks to everyone that responded...It has helped me tremendously to make a decision....Now off to find a sale for the 650!