Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Brother sq 9050 users

Brother sq 9050 users

Do any of you that have this machine use it for machine quilting? If so what are your thoughts and tips?

I have one! Bought it in Nov 2011, i don't machine quilt on it but have used it almost daily for piecing tops. I have sewn every type of fabric (including denim) and paper piecing and never had a hint of an issue. Depending upon where you purchase it - you may be able to return it 30-60 days if you're not satisfied with it.

I purchased one 3o days ago. The machine works great. I'm still getting use to it. Best part, the thread doesn't break every 3 stitches like the other machine and I'm not getting nests. I think the other machine was beginning to/had tension issues. Whatever, the new machine does great. The down size is the throat requires inventive quilt placement. Another down side for me that I can't explain why or how yet is with the extended table to the left, I have no room on the right. I think that's me and I haven't figured out what I'm doing to cause that.

I've pieced some blocks and it worked like a charm.
    I've done a double thickness battling twin quilt SID and it done great. I think I could do a double or queen size regular battling not 2 layers like the twin.

I don't quilt on mine because I have a larger machine, but there is a book out there called machine quilting in sections. I know someone on here did a twin quilt on hers but can't remember who. If it were me I would add the batting in sections with the batting tape so you can get more under the harp. Its doable but like other said you will have to get creative
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

I have an SQ9000, which is probably one step back. I have used it for machine quilting on small items, wall hangings, placemats and such. I am not brave enough to machine quilt, no matter what the machine is. I am just not that good.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it. - Jonathan Winters

I have the SQ9000. I loved it and still use it from time to time but I have a larger machine now. I did a twin size on it but just did SID with the walking foot. It was a tight squeeze but was doable. I used warm and natural batting.
    Brother SQ9000, Baby Lock Crescendo

Slowly but surely restoring these lovely machines...
    Singer 66 (1929) Singer 27 treadle (1909) Singer 99 (1925)

I have the SQ9000, I have quilted 3 twin size quilts with it, had no issues. From what I have seen the only difference between your machine and mine is the number 50.

Enjoy your machine.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)