Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother SQ9000 - tension issue >

Brother SQ9000 - tension issue

Brother SQ9000 - tension issue

Old 12-09-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by pamlaw3
I have the Brother XR9000 and I had the same problem. My ended up being the stitch i was using. Started out on stitch 43 which was quilting stitch, then had to change it to nnumber one . I had been sewing on that 43 for weeks and all of a sudden it started acting like yours and when i put it on one it stopped.
THAT'S the stitch I'm using! I'll try #1. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2010, 04:55 PM

I have the Brother XR9000 and I had the same problem. My ended up being the stitch i was using. Started out on stitch 43 which was quilting stitch, then had to change it to nnumber one . I had been sewing on that 43 for weeks and all of a sudden it started acting like yours and when i put it on one it stopped.
Pam, that is excellent information! Thank you so much for sharing. I will remember this. Who would have thought it would make such a difference... Thanks again. Can't wait to hear back from deema.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:33 PM

Well, I first changed the stitch selection and didn't do a thing. Tried playing with the stitch length before taking it all apart, and nothing. So I opened it up. Dorothy,I should know better than to not read the manual thoroughly - I did not know that grey plastic bobbin casing cover thing came up! As soon as I got it up and the casing out, I knew *exactly* what my problem was - LINT and LOTS of it. I just got the machine yesterday and only played with it for a little while. We're still getting to know each other, she and I. I did give it a tiny bit of oil on the needle shaft bar, and she responded well.

Thank you all, so much!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 05:45 PM

We just have to help each other. glad it worked.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:07 PM

Wow! I wish the world was as helpful as this group is. You all can't be beat.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:45 AM

I am so excited!!!!!!! I had the baby sister; EX660. My lack of knowledge led to her being put in the closet for a backup. She had no quilting accessories and not many embroidery selections but she purred like a kitten. She just wasn't made for quilting. I was so happy I got the SQ9000 because we got allllllll the quilting accessories. Use that walking foot!! It is the best thing since sliced bread.
I am doing a Cathedral Windows now so I have my 1/4" foot on to help keep me honest. A tip/trick on it: When I power my machine off I take the 1/4" presser foot off and lay it away from the needle, then put the needle in the down position. When we power the machine on our needle goes to the left position. The 1/4" foot only has a center hole. I snapped two needles, boom - boom, because I wasn't concentrating. Turned the machine on, started to sew without resetting the needle to the center position. Makes me mad at myself. So I now set the needle to the center position when I power the machine on and then put the 1/4" foot back on.
I am so happy, happy your back in business. The children's water color sets have brushes that work good in the tiny areas. I use clean make-up brushes in the places that are easy to get to.
Now, for anyone who wants to know: this machine and the EX660 is very easy to take apart to get to the inside.
If you ever do, don't pull one side very far away from the other side because the wiring harness runs from one side to the other.
Just unplug it. Take out every screw you can find. If it won't come apart easily you haven't taken all the screws out yet.
My husband did my EX660 the first time it froze up. Now we know it wasn't necessary because the needle holder shaft just needed oil on the inside of it. But we got to take a look-see. Lots of little tiny, fragile looking parts and pieces in there. Just be very gently if you ever need to take it apart. I am sure it will void your warranty if you do take it apart.
Have a great day.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:22 PM

It is amazing what can be accomplished when we are all helping each other. I love it everyday. So glad we are here.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
It is amazing what can be accomplished when we are all helping each other. I love it everyday. So glad we are here.
I agree!!! I've gotten SO MUCH useful information and help from this board! I might have quit with my first quilt if I hadn't found this board in the process of making it and learned so many awesome hints and tips!