Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brown bag challenge >

Brown bag challenge

Brown bag challenge

Old 01-15-2012, 12:17 PM

Default Brown bag challenge

Hi folks, a couple of months back a member mentioned doing a "brown bag challenge" as a project for their quilting group. What a great idea!
I would like to do the same but need to know the measurements, size of squares, and needed supplies.
Can the person give the directions or pm me.
Thanks so much
Old 01-15-2012, 01:00 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Never heard of it.. Would be curious to know...
Old 01-16-2012, 04:01 AM

This may be it...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ne-t25556.html
Old 01-16-2012, 04:06 AM

We did one at our guild last year. If I remember correctly, a 10" piece for the meat, cheese, tomato, lettuce, 2 pieces for the bread, a fat quarter for the dessert and another for fruit I believe, and then any additional scraps that could not be smaller than 2 1/2" square. The completed project didn't exceed 36" square I think. You could add in any fabrics you wanted. Make whatever you wanted. I made a Tree of Life wall hanging. Have fun if you do it!!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:14 AM

Our guild does a Brown Bag Challenge each year. You put 3 fat quarters in a brown lunch bag. A guild member logs the bags in and assigns numbers. She is the only one who knows who's bag is who's. Then members pick a bag to take home and make something using the 3 fats plus can add more fabric. A year later on Reveal night, the projects are brought in and the maker and fabric owners revealed to each other. Person who picked out the fat quarters keeps the project made for them. We first display projects around the room and try to remember which fabric was ours! Then the moderator has the maker describe their inspiration, and reveals the fabric owner. First yr we did any 3 fats, now each year we assign a theme to the fats to make it more challenging. We just did Black, White, and a Splash. Next yr doing Civil War fabrics. It's fun to not know who you are making a project for. The moderator has to remind people to make their project and turn it in on time, so that everyone gets something back. You can make whatever rules you want on what type of fabrics or projects to make.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:43 AM

Slomio,

This sounds like a blast. Wish I could join.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:36 AM

Well, boy, that is not what I thought you were talking about. I would like for our guild to make the brown bag quilt. Actually there are 2 brown bags. Only the one I've heard of: You put light colors in one bag and dark colors in another bag. Then you pull out a square from one bag and a square from the other bag and sew them together. These are all scraps that have been cut into whatever size you want. You CANNOT change out the square because you don't like the color. lol Keep going. This would really test the control people. Of course, you would need a couple of guards patrolling the classroom, just to keep everyone honest. lol
Old 01-17-2012, 07:52 AM

This sounds like a lot of fun.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by slomio View Post
Our guild does a Brown Bag Challenge each year. You put 3 fat quarters in a brown lunch bag. A guild member logs the bags in and assigns numbers. She is the only one who knows who's bag is who's. Then members pick a bag to take home and make something using the 3 fats plus can add more fabric. A year later on Reveal night, the projects are brought in and the maker and fabric owners revealed to each other. Person who picked out the fat quarters keeps the project made for them. We first display projects around the room and try to remember which fabric was ours! Then the moderator has the maker describe their inspiration, and reveals the fabric owner. First yr we did any 3 fats, now each year we assign a theme to the fats to make it more challenging. We just did Black, White, and a Splash. Next yr doing Civil War fabrics. It's fun to not know who you are making a project for. The moderator has to remind people to make their project and turn it in on time, so that everyone gets something back. You can make whatever rules you want on what type of fabrics or projects to make.
We did one similar to this last year but we had only a month to complete our project. This year, last night infact, we again put 2 fat quarters in a bag, and when we left the meeting we chose another bag. We are now suppose to make something but this time we get to keep what we make. I lucked out and the bag I have has two black and white fat quarters in it...My daughter is wanting a purse so I think I will make her one. Won't be able to give it to her until after our next meeting, next month. This is a lot of fun. We will also be doing a bingo game next month.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:22 PM

I think I need to pass this idea along at our Guild. Always looking for something new to do.