Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BSR - Top thread breaks

Help - my top thread keeps breaking while using my BSR. It sews perfectly for about two minutes, then the top thread breaks. I have cleaned it, oiled it, changed the needle, changed the thread, re-threaded. What else can I check? Thanks. - Cynthia

It could be your thread. I have had a couple of threads that my machine just did not like. Try a different thread on a practice piece and see how well it works.

Is your thread a large spool?--then it should be in a thread holder and not on the machine spool holder. sometimes thread should be vertical and other times horizontal if a smaller spool. If it is old--toss it. HTH

rita

Kas
    Make sure the thread is not being pulled on by anything while it is coming off the spool. That will cause breakage. You might also try a bigger needle.

I had this happen and it was old thread.

I only use Mettler thread because my Bernina does not seem to like others. I finished a spool of thread about half-way through this afternoon and started a new spool, so I don't think it's the thread. I am using the average spool size on the horizontal spool holder. Should I maybe try the vertical? I am using a size 90/14 needle - should I try another size - if so, what size? Thanks for trying to help me. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. - Cynthia

needle size sounds right to me. Mount the thread horizontal and see what happens.

Rita

This may not help anything but sometimes when I have been really frustrated with my BSR and the machine in general. I just will turn off the machine and let it sit for a while. Then turn back on and try again. I don't know why but this has worked a time or two, not always.
    Diconnnect your BSR and reconnect it too.
    Take out the bobbin and clean up the area and re-insert it.
    I don't know what else to tell you.

I should have said vertical.

I have a Bernina but not the BSR. When I FMQ with mine and this happens I turned down the top tension a bit (to the half way mark between the next whole number) and that solved my problem with the thread breaking after a minute or two of FMQ.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast