Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Bubble (or crinkle) fabric?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    847
    I saw some blouses and jackets today (at a garage sale) that the fabric is all puckered and stretchy.
    I forgot to ask if she made the items or bought them.
    The lady said "I just call it bubble fabric".
    I kind of stretched the tight crinkles out in a section and it just seems to be stitched in a criss cross pattern with (maybe) elastic thread on slinky silky type fabric.
    And a jacket seemed to be stitched in small straight horizontal channels that puckered it vertically. It's definitely not crinkled taffeta.
    Maybe it sounds awful but they were very nice looking, especially the jacket.
    And my granddaughter would love the blouses.
    Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
    If so, do you know what it's called and how it's made?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Super Member charismah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ephrata, WA
    Posts
    8,823
    Blog Entries
    29
    well they have this fabric called texture magic...and you sew it onto your cotton and it creates that look.....however it is not stretchy...so I am not sure what kind of fabric you are speaking of.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by charismah
    well they have this fabric called texture magic...and you sew it onto your cotton and it creates that look.....however it is not stretchy...so I am not sure what kind of fabric you are speaking of.
    Texture Magic?
    I never heard of it. But after reading your post I googled and found a video.
    The item they made is very similar to what I saw although without the bubbles.
    It must be the way you sew it to the fabric that makes the bubbles.
    It doesn't look like it can stretch after shrinking it though. The items I saw could.
    I wish I had thought to turn the fabric over and look at the underside to see if it had this product sewn to it. But I was hurrying and I only looked at the front.
    I think I'll buy some Texture Magic and try it.
    Thanks for the info.

  4. #4
    Super Member CoyoteQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,306
    I have not seen any fabric like this, but the finished products are popular out here. They come in tops, jackets and skirts. There is also fabric that does not have any of the elastic stitched on it, but is pressed with permanent pleats (random) and then the pattern is printed on the fabric. When stretched the beginning color of the fabric shows. Wears great and washes even better!

  5. #5
    Super Member butterflywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    currently central new jersey
    Posts
    8,703
    the garment fabric you saw i don't think you can make at home. i've seen it on the bolt in new york (very pricey) and i've seen it on finished clothing (not so pricey). my daughter has a blouse out of that stuff and it's very washable. i think it's poly and permanently randomly pressed, as said above. the kind i'm talking about has no elastic. it's very thin.

    texture magic doesn't stretch when it's done and finishes much thicker.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    the garment fabric you saw i don't think you can make at home. i've seen it on the bolt in new york (very pricey) and i've seen it on finished clothing (not so pricey). my daughter has a blouse out of that stuff and it's very washable. i think it's poly and permanently randomly pressed, as said above. the kind i'm talking about has no elastic. it's very thin.

    texture magic doesn't stretch when it's done and finishes much thicker.
    Oh then maybe the items weren't made with Texture Magic. They were very thin fabric and, like I mentioned, stretchy. I'm not sure elastic thread was actually used, I was only guessing.
    But the Texture Magic sounds interesting anyway. I think I'll buy some and play with it.
    Sounds as though I'll have to look for a bolt of the fabric I've been trying to describe.
    Thanks anyway.

  7. #7
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,931
    It sounds really cool. If you find it please post a pic.

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Alturas, CA
    Posts
    7,741
    I have some fabric like you described, it's "wrinkled" look is because of tiny elastic "strands" on it. If you would like, I'll see if I can find it, take a picture of it, and if you like it, PM me and I'll send it to you, at least that way, someone gets to use it. LOL

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie
    I have some fabric like you described, it's "wrinkled" look is because of tiny elastic "strands" on it. If you would like, I'll see if I can find it, take a picture of it, and if you like it, PM me and I'll send it to you, at least that way, someone gets to use it. LOL
    Yes I would appreciate a pic of it.
    Thanks
    P.S. where did you buy it?

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Alturas, CA
    Posts
    7,741
    Give me a little time to find it. I think I bought it at Beverly's Fabrics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.