Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 75

Thread: Building My Stash Bigger Than Ever... Why?

  1. #1
    grugirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Graham, WA
    Posts
    373
    I read many posts here that are griping, complaining, arguing, or shaking their virtual heads in disbelief over the price of fabrics. This is exactly why I am building my stash bigger than ever right now. I figure that if I have more than enough fabric than I could possibly need in a lifetime to quilt all the quilts I want to quilt then when fabric becomes $20/yard someday, I will know I paid far less and always had choices from fabrics that initially attracted me.

    I would also like to suggest at this time to really feel out all your quilt store options even many miles from home that you normally would not trek to. I recently spent the last 6 months exploring every quilt shop in a 70 mile radius and have gotten to every one but one of them. I have really spent a lot of time comparing their prices. One gal with a fantastic selection of many older designs has far better prices. I usually never pay over 8.50/ yard for new designs but have begun stocking up on lots of her $6.99/yard fabric that I know i will use.

  2. #2
    Super Member greenini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,543
    Blog Entries
    16
    I agree, tho due to space issues, I am also trying to use what I have now. But it ain't gonna get cheaper, even if cotton eventually goes back down, prices will tend to stay high. Look at coffee, it never retreated from the last time they had a hiccup.

  3. #3
    grugirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Graham, WA
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by greenini
    I agree, tho due to space issues, I am also trying to use what I have now. But it ain't gonna get cheaper, even if cotton eventually goes back down, prices will tend to stay high. Look at coffee, it never retreated from the last time they had a hiccup.
    So true, space is always an issue. To overcome space issues with everything in my home, my new method is to take something out before something comes in. I have been CListing many things I no longer use, donated items to local charities and have even done a little trading with a neighbor with things we don't need with things we do. We share eggs, food, farm supplies, tools and other things. it also cuts down on bringing new things in that you need but don't want to rebuy what someone already has.

  4. #4
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cypress, Texas
    Posts
    4,754
    I got rid of lots of most FQs and less than yard cuts several weeks ago...like about 3 banker boxes full when it was all over and I mean packed full. I have been in my LQS at least twice a week since. Now buying 3+ yards of things I love and collections. Lots of backing. Then I get Jinny Beyer Studio email yesterday with collection called Shaded Spring and this pink crocus floral...I just need to delete it but keep looking at it...lol

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    CA & NM
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald46
    I got rid of lots of most FQs and less than yard cuts several weeks ago...like about 3 banker boxes full when it was all over and I mean packed full. I have been in my LQS at least twice a week since. Now buying 3+ yards of things I love and collections. Lots of backing. Then I get Jinny Beyer Studio email yesterday with collection called Shaded Spring and this pink crocus floral...I just need to delete it but keep looking at it...lol
    I know what will happen if you don't delete Jinny Beyer's email! Just don't ask me how I know!

  6. #6
    grugirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Graham, WA
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by sherriequilts
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald46
    I got rid of lots of most FQs and less than yard cuts several weeks ago...like about 3 banker boxes full when it was all over and I mean packed full. I have been in my LQS at least twice a week since. Now buying 3+ yards of things I love and collections. Lots of backing. Then I get Jinny Beyer Studio email yesterday with collection called Shaded Spring and this pink crocus floral...I just need to delete it but keep looking at it...lol
    I know what will happen if you don't delete Jinny Beyer's email! Just don't ask me how I know!

    Come on.. tell us.. we are dying to know... HOw do you know???? Tell us GF

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Snowy Minnesota
    Posts
    665
    I hear you, Grugirl, but I'm increasingly convinced that the fabric manufacturers and retailers of the world make most of their money on the fabrics we buy for our stashes.

    Once I figured that out, I resolved never to buy fabric unless I needed it for a specific project. Of course, I do have a small stash of leftover fabric, but nothing those who buy fabric without a specific plan.

    In the long run, I'm convinced I spend less, even when prices are rising.

  8. #8
    grugirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Graham, WA
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi
    I hear you, Grugirl, but I'm increasingly convinced that the fabric manufacturers and retailers of the world make most of their money on the fabrics we buy for our stashes.

    Once I figured that out, I resolved never to buy fabric unless I needed it for a specific project. Of course, I do have a small stash of leftover fabric, but nothing those who buy fabric without a specific plan.

    In the long run, I'm convinced I spend less, even when prices are rising.
    The other part of that stash bit is that when you are looking for specific colors or designs to go together you cannot always find them. I have run into that a few times in the early days of quilting. I now love that I start with fabrics from my stash and then go buy something else I may need for it which a lot of times is NOT the case. Many times I have what I need for an entire quilt top. 3x this year this has worked for me and I have only made 3 quilts this year. It also helps because I live out in farmland and have to drive long distances for fabric usually.

  9. #9
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,477
    Oh nooooooooooo!!
    Jinny has a new line?????
    Why did you have to tell me???? hahahahah :D

  10. #10
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Grundy Co Illinois
    Posts
    5,212
    I'm with you Gru - both the stash building and seeking new alternatives. I confess that until recently I hadn't paid much attention to the prices. I would notice if something was on the sale rack - but not the prices (reg or sale). If I liked it, I bought it - the price was the price.

    Now I'm paying closer attention to which stores have the best prices. I got a "We'd Rather be Quilting" book that has dozens of shops in my area and I've been to more than a few, and I'm looking at some of the online stores more (just placed an order tonight with Connecting Threads for some trial fabric and thread).

    I'm also buying in yardage now - 2-3 yards min as opposed to collecting FQ's which is what most of my stash is.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.