Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Building the stash from old clothes etc

I don't know. I feel safer with all cotton fabrics.

Quote Originally Posted by AllyJo
    I kinda like the way these shirts are cut up and used. I hope this link works.

http://thethriftyquilter.blogspot.co...e-thrifty.html
    Thanks for the link AllyJo. WOW!!! What a neat way to use almost all the fabric with little waste! I have used clothes alot for making quilts. I have a few flannel shirts that I am planning on making a quilt for my dad; when I get the time. *sigh* My daughter & her twins are living with us now; so I have been spending time with Maria on her 2nd project.

Hetty... keep your pieces as big as you can, it helps when you have a pattern figured out. The link that AllyJo posted I see lots of fabric & very little waste. You might want to try that method when cutting.
    Crazy quilts can be made with any size pieces, top stitch on a sheet. I have done this before & will do again as my stash isn't very much.

Blog Entries
    This is a great link I have listed it on my favorites. Thank you for sharing it.

I don't precut my pillowcases and old sheets. I might need them big, so I keep them folded and waiting for the right project.
    Thanks for this link! I'd love to make one!

This link is so timely for me, since I am in the process of trying to get DH to sort out his old shirts :-) The shirt quilt is a wonderful idea.

Thank you to all on this forum who do so much to introduce us newbies to the many quilting options available to us.

I have always ripped up gently used garments for quilt fabric. Once, I got 9 cotton dresses, all with nice full skirts, for 10 cents each. That was a few years ago. The fabric has since all been used, but I'll never forget that bonanza. I remember just where I made that purchase and keep going back in hope that I can get more of the same without any such luck.

I don't precut my pillowcases and old sheets. I might need them big, so I keep them folded and waiting for the right project.
    Thank you for the link. Just had an uncle pass away who was a great guy & passed the link on to my aunt who is a quilter. Bet she'll love it.

Thanks so much for this site. I have been buying shirts at garage sales. I cut all the seams out and use them to stuff pillow cases for pet beds. This pattern will be great for the shirt fabric.

At my church we have a PRAYER SHAWL MINISTRY.It started out as just knitted shawls and has grown to a lot of different mission projects. We make little girls dresses out of pillowcases.Old ones or new ones. We just delivered 93 to amission in eastern ky.They have 1400 kids they work with. THESE ARE FUN TO MAKE. ANOTHER ADDICTION.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5