Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Building the stash from old clothes etc >

Building the stash from old clothes etc

Building the stash from old clothes etc

Old 07-08-2010, 02:36 AM

Since I am new to quilitng I don't have a huge amount a fabrics. After going mad and cleaning out the closet and chest of drawers I have a pile of old clothes (linen, cottons, natural fibre blends) that are not suitable for charity shops (ratty hems collars or cuffs) but have large amounts of good fabric. Also some old sheets/pillowcases. I am thinking of cutting these up (all buttons go in the buttonbox!) but should I leave the peices as large as possible or get out the rotary cutter and ruler and cut into squares or strips. Any suggestions as per size and any fabric you suggest not to bother with. Also, I though about clipping the manufacturers tag to the fabric so I know exactly what type it is and any special washing instructions.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:52 AM

I kinda like the way these shirts are cut up and used. I hope this link works.

http://thethriftyquilter.blogspot.co...e-thrifty.html

I don't precut my pillowcases and old sheets. I might need them big, so I keep them folded and waiting for the right project.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:07 AM

Great idea - that's what quilters did many, many years ago...they used old clothing or scraps from making new clothing. Fabric for quilting is a "new trend".

Check out Quiltville.com for lots of idea on quilting with scraps and old clothes. Bonnie says find a pattern/quilt you like, see what size the pieces are cut down to and cut your shirts to that size. That's what I'm doing with my shirt collection.

I've seen a quilt that incorporated the necklines/tags right into the quilt...it was cool. They included pockets (some with the flap and button still attached.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:19 AM

[quote=AllyJo]http://thethriftyquilter.blogspot.co...e-thrifty.html
quote]

Thanks for posting the link above. I read the entire article...like I've never seen it before...LOL
When I went to save it to favorites - I already had it saved. Duh!
:oops:
Guess, maybe, perhaps, that's where I seen the name tags incorporated into the quilt.

Her pattern only used a total of 7 shirts - YIKES :shock:
I probably have enough shirts to make 10 quilts! YIKES AGAIN!
Old 07-08-2010, 03:22 AM

Hetty:
Hi! Would love to see your shirt quilt when you are done. I have a shirt quilt started too. Welcome from Mn! :D
Old 07-08-2010, 03:33 AM
Power Poster

Great idea. I would keep them as big as possible
Old 07-08-2010, 03:40 AM

Nothing wrong with using what we have, and saving space in the landfills!
I started rug hooking last year and wool is waaaay expensive,so I hit the thrift shops!
Some were appalled that I was going to cut up these good clothes, but I got alot of very pretty 100% wool at very good prices!
I left everything in as large a piece as I could.
you never know what you may need later!
also as a side note: I asked what they did with clothing that couldn't be sold(frayed,holes etc) they said it was all baled and sent overseas for charity!
Well personally I think that is insulting(sending our garbage to another country) and alot of crafters(rug hookers,quilters,crochet) would take these off their hands and save the expense of shipping!
Old 07-08-2010, 03:45 AM

I always go to the "big mens" section at the Goodwill and look for wool pants, sweaters, and nice shirts. You get alot of fabric that way, and if you hit them on the sale days, half off a certain colored tag, or the second Tuesday of the month, 5 pieces of clothing for $5, you can get alot of fabric! I love recycling!I reuse everything from buttons, tags, and zippers! Have fun with it, and if you want to take it apart, only do it at the seams, or you might kick yourself later.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

Welcome! I think that is a great way to start quilting. Save money, and recycle!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
Her pattern only used a total of 7 shirts - YIKES :shock:
I probably have enough shirts to make 10 quilts! YIKES AGAIN!
Hey there. You're welcome on the link. What I was thinking about doing was just using her cutting ideas or layout into usable pieces. Sometimes it's just nice to have a pattern.

What I usually do is save the back for a fat quarter and cut the rest into nickles, squares or strips, since that's mostly what I work with. I even use the collars and cuffs as smaller strip piecings.