Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Building Strata ??

Thanks for the information.

Klue-Lovely quilt

Blog Entries
    I sew scraps together as leaders and enders and then cut out the size shape I want from the sewn scraps. That's one way of building a scrappy strata.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everybody! I've got a better handle on STRATA now. JUST-thanks for the visual. Makes more sense. KLUE- wht a beautiful quilt. Knew I would get help from all the knowledge here... off to the sewing room to tackle the TULIP block....

Strata was a new term in quilting for me.. but it makes sense as in geology strata is a layering of stone/etc.

Strata has been used as a term for strip sets at least as far back as the early 90's when Bargello quilts came on the scene. Marilyn Doheny did a lot of work in developing strata quilts, both bargello and optical illusion, before Colleen Wise and Karen Combs came on the scene.

Blog Entries
    Thanks again for ALL the info. Very interesting.... I finally "got it"! I was looking at the drawings thinking the strips were sewn end to end since that is the way they looked (to ME!) not long SIDE BY SIDE. Had I turned the drawing the other way I would have realized it. Duh! just my old eyes, I guess... So ! problem solved! You guys are aLL TERRIFIC...

Klue, I would love to have the instructions for that quilt! Do you know where to find the pattern? or is that an original design?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2