Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bunk bed quilt size ?

I was working on flannel quilts for my ggs's and now find out they have bunk beds. Would you make them the same size as for a freestanding twn bed?

I think the mattress size is the same but you will not want alot of drop since these tend to sit closer to the floor and the top drop invades the space on the lower bed

Blog Entries
    boys tend to wrap and ball in the covers so I doubt the overhand will matter that much. I made my nephews double bed size quilts for their bunk beds. They fold (wad) it up on the bed until they need to cover. The quilts are used for tents, forts, parachutes, flying carpets, slides...so it needs to be big.

Thats what I remember. We had the boys with us a few years ago and bought bunk beds then. I remember them being a real pain for this gg to make up.
    Thanks, Ditter

A lesser drop might be more convenient but what if they eventually want twin beds again. Might ask gg's and their mom what their opinions are!! Unless these are a surprise!!

Another thought might be sleeping bags made with a quilted cover. When my son was little and wanted a loft bed we used a sleeping bag for his bed. I simply covered the mattress with a quilted fitted "sheet" and when he made his bed he just spread out the sleeping bag. No overhang and the quilted "sheet" if showed was attractive. Just an idea.

Blog Entries
    Make up a bunk bed? Now that is exercise! A fitted sheet and a cover tossed to the end is all it gets from me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Make up a bunk bed? Now that is exercise! A fitted sheet and a cover tossed to the end is all it gets from me.
    LMBO that was me too!!! My kids were to heavy to try and move to get behind them. I believe life is too short to worry about beds perfectly made up... LOL

I would make them a regular twin size...then as they get older they will work on regular twin beds too :wink:

never, ever make a kid's bed. roll up the quilt or blanket and push to the foot of the bed. punch the pillow a few times and voila! finished.

I'm making quilts for my boys and making them regular twin size. Everyone is right...they'll be scrunched up and the overhang can just be tucked in if it needs to look really neat.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    never, ever make a kid's bed. roll up the quilt or blanket and push to the foot of the bed. punch the pillow a few times and voila! finished.
    i did better than that with my kids, i just shut their bedroom door.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast