Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Busted! >

Busted!

Busted!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Grandmama Pat
Ditto for me. I have as many books as I have stash and that's quite a bit. I love both.
At least I don't drink too much or take drugs so this hobby is VERY GOOD.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:27 AM

SewMom, I so understand what happened. We aren't attacking your hubby or you, just venting some of our own happenings. Love the quilt, by the way. So you did make him one. I like to keep my upcoming projects separate from my stash. This way I can keep it separate so I don't use it on something else and then when I go to work on the project it is gone. Also sort of keeps me organized, sort of :lol: I hope once you got it all put away, he saw it and its beauty and understood your need to organize it for better use in the future. I need someone to come organize my stash, any volunteers??? Jan
Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
Solved!! I bought my hubs a laptop for Xmas and introduced him to CL and Ebay. It may become a race to see who spends the most. LOL
DO NOT introduce him to this site! You'll be done for.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:43 AM

funny............ :lol:
Old 02-07-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
When I retired, I told my husband I wanted a monthly allowance deposited to a separate checking account for me to spend however I want to. We agreed on an amount, and started doing it. That way, I can feed my hobbies, and he knows I won't break the bank. It helps me keep to a budget too. It's one of the best ideas i've had for avoiding conflict.
Now this sounds like a great idea. Way to go. I didn't start quilting until 2002 the year after my husband died. I have a considerable sized stash now as does my girlfriend. (We started quilting together.) We share our stashes and sometimes the RIGHT fabric is nowhere in the quilt shops, but in one of our stashes. We don't regret buying fabrics that we like even though we may not have a specific project in mind at the time of purchase. We are able to sew from our stashes now, but always find new fabrics and projects to take on. We have both retired from teaching and probably will have to limit our acquisitions somewhat (!) in the future. But given the size of our stashes we will be able to quilt for a long time!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by kellen46
I am not married, I do own a largish stash...I buy without guilt nor do I have to justify my spending to anyone.....however I know that is not everyone. So if I owned a fabric store I would call it the the Grocery Store with fabric lines called. Quarta Milk+ whites and creams, Pounda Meat=browns and reds, Heada Lettuce= mixed greens, Baga Fruit=bright colors and well you get the picture. So the scenario goes like this
Wife comes in with several large bags of fabric and stows them away.
Husband "Where ya been?"
Wife "Oh the Grocery Store."
Husband "What cha get?"
Wife "Well a pounda meat, a Quarta Milk, a Heada Lettuce and a Baga Fruit.
Husband "Sounds great, what's for dinner?"
Wife "Oh honey we have both had such a busy day, let's go out to eat."
Can you see it???
this is priceless. Stil LOL!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by sewmom
When I started this post, I didn't know that it would start such a big turmoil, so I will try to set you straight. I thought it was funny when he said that. He is retired, but consulting,so it's like working one job and being paid for two. Money isn't really the issue unless i overspend when he is NOT working anymore. Sometimes I do spend too much on fabric, but I really do have plans for most of it. (Hopefully I'll live a really long time) He really doesn't say a lot about my hobby and knows that he spends money on what he wants. Neither one of drinks or smokes or has any other bad habits. We have talked about a hobby budget so we're Ok there too. I make quilts for gifts and he got a great one for Christmas. We've been married 33 years and did have some lean times when our kids were small-I hardly sewed at all then. Plus he just bought me a Janome 11000 for Christmas and paid cash for it. I think It just never dawned on him how long I've been gathering my stash and if I didn't have it stacked on the table at the time, it wouldn't have looked like as much. I really only have maybe 2 tall bookshelves of fabric that is a yard or more and that includes the fabric that I have gathered for 7 quilts. I have all that I need for them except 2 backs. So I'm not worried that he's got underlying issues-he'd tell me for sure. And sometimes I do feel guilty when I over spend-but I drown it in Fabric. :)
I'll bet he really likes that gorgeous quilt too. and he can't be too upset if he bought you that great machine.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Mama
Originally Posted by Grandmama Pat
Ditto for me. I have as many books as I have stash and that's quite a bit. I love both.
At least I don't drink too much or take drugs so this hobby is VERY GOOD.
We don't do either one or go to movies except really good ones., so we are allow ourselves to spend on our hobbies. I get my own social security check to spend any way I want, and I use it for going to the Sister's(Oregon) Quilters Affair and Outdoor Quilt Show, my quilt groups annual Beach Weekend ( 4 days over Columbus Day weekend) and any other sewing stuff I need. I still manage to save a great deal of it. So I am okay. I have a sizable stash, and I go to it first and go to the stores if I need something to fill in, usually backing fabric, or something with just the right shade or texture. :D Jan
Old 02-07-2011, 11:27 AM

keep the peace and spare him the anxiety. men don't appreciate our stashes.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

I agree with it seems it is ok to spend $ if it is their idea. I am blessed in tha tmy Dh is an enabler and several years he discovered crafting and quilting makes for a happy woman at this house.