But the directions say to.....

But the directions say to.....

Old 02-02-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by majormom
Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Follow the directions for the pattern.
Absolutely. Some patterns like Hunter's Star have a very good reason for having the seams pressed open. Definitely follow the pattern instructions.
Thanks everyone for your input. I have every intention of following the pattern, but the pattern did not specify what type of batting to use. Therefore I really appreciate your help with this. The pattern also states to SID but I've always been told that to SID when the seams are pressed open can cause a problem with the needle cutting the stitch in the seam. So even though I think it would look really nice done that way, I don't think I'll do it that way.
There are lots of people with 'absolutes'-don't due this or.....do it this way only or...

You will not have problems doing SITD over pressed open seams. Your needle will not cut the threads.
Interesting. I had always heard NOT to SITD with pressed open seams. The reason is that you have thread on thread which is less stable and the quilt won't be as sturdy if you quilt all over.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:31 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I have SITD over open seams and no problems so far. Again I reiterate that I only use quality batting, fabric and thread. :-D This includes my son's bed quilt which is washed many times, used to play tents etc... :-D
Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Originally Posted by majormom
Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Follow the directions for the pattern.
Absolutely. Some patterns like Hunter's Star have a very good reason for having the seams pressed open. Definitely follow the pattern instructions.
Thanks everyone for your input. I have every intention of following the pattern, but the pattern did not specify what type of batting to use. Therefore I really appreciate your help with this. The pattern also states to SID but I've always been told that to SID when the seams are pressed open can cause a problem with the needle cutting the stitch in the seam. So even though I think it would look really nice done that way, I don't think I'll do it that way.
There are lots of people with 'absolutes'-don't due this or.....do it this way only or...

You will not have problems doing SITD over pressed open seams. Your needle will not cut the threads.
Interesting. I had always heard NOT to SITD with pressed open seams. The reason is that you have thread on thread which is less stable and the quilt won't be as sturdy if you quilt all over.
With all the quilting done on a quilt you won't have all the weight put on one thread only. It's distributed throughout the quilt.

:thumbup:
Old 02-02-2011, 09:48 AM

Whenever I do a pattern for the first time, I follow the directions exactly. So do a practice block. But, I agree, that the reason is probably to reduce bulk.

If you are worried about the seams, backstitch at the beginning and ending of each seam so your stitches stay tight. I saw Fons and Porter the other day where Maryanne and Mary were demonstrating how to begin sewing two to three stitches, then turning the piece around to do the seam, then ending it the same way by turning the piece around and stitching two to three stitches. It keeps the stitches tight on the end.

(They were demonstrating on a Babylock. When in quilting mode, Babylocks don't back stitch but stitch in place. You have to switch to sewing mode and then it will backstitch. So, I guess it was just easier for them to turn the fabric around.)
Old 02-02-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
Whenever I do a pattern for the first time, I follow the directions exactly. So do a practice block. But, I agree, that the reason is probably to reduce bulk.

If you are worried about the seams, backstitch at the beginning and ending of each seam so your stitches stay tight. I saw Fons and Porter the other day where Maryanne and Mary were demonstrating how to begin sewing two to three stitches, then turning the piece around to do the seam, then ending it the same way by turning the piece around and stitching two to three stitches. It keeps the stitches tight on the end.

(They were demonstrating on a Babylock. When in quilting mode, Babylocks don't back stitch but stitch in place. You have to switch to sewing mode and then it will backstitch. So, I guess it was just easier for them to turn the fabric around.)
Funny enough this pattern I am going to do is in the Fons and Porter July/August 2010 magazine. It's called 'Nothing But Triangles' and my DH just loves it. He had picked out a Civil War Tribute quilt at first, but when he saw this one that was it! Personally I like the Civil War Tribute quilt - oh well, he's the love of my life so he'll have what he likes!
Old 02-03-2011, 03:43 PM

i would follow the directions
Old 02-03-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
You could shorten your stitch length slightly but I always press my seams open when making my kaleidoscope quilts with my normal stitch length and I've never had batting poking through. I think this advice comes from the days when everyone hand pieced...
I do the same thing, I have never had a problem either. I usually think if they tell you to press one way or the other that they have a reason for telling you that. I found that out when I did my first stack and whack pinwheel quilt. They lay so much nice if pressed open. :thumbup: