Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: buy a second machine from a dealer or fabric store??

I'm considering buying a second machine to either keep a walking foot on at all times or to do my machine piecing on and putting the walking foot on the one I currently have. I'm really undecided whether I should buy something cheaper (like at Target or the LQS) or a "used" better machine at a dealer....Can't seem to make up my mind. What do you "experienced" quilters do? It's difficult to stop everything and change to a walking foot if I am working on multiple projects...also wouldn't mind a second machine to do embroidery??? Am I dreaming....Opinions??? :lol:

Dealer for me, hands down. You'll not be able to get a used, better machine from a Joanne's etc. Plus the support and sometimes warranties on used machines are worth it.

I just purchased a used trade-in from my dealer for a 2nd.machine; and am very happy with it. She went through it all, serviced it, and made sure everything was running great before selling it to me. Can't ask for better than that!

I would love to have a second machine! One to embroider and one to sew on. I would see about getting a second hand one, if money is an issue.

I have bought machines from Wal Mart and Hancock fabrics but the machine I bought from a dealer is my favorite. I got a great deal and all the help I wanted. And I could try it out before buying it. I would go with a dealer all the way.

Blog Entries
    I would first check out any sewing machine repair shops. They take in a lot of "good" used machines. It has been my experience that they usually make them "better then new". If something goes wrong, you know they can fix it.

Blog Entries
    My current favorite machine for piecing a quilt and other straight stitching is a 1950s Singer 301, purchased at a garage sale for $20. It sews like a dream. Other than my 2 year old embroidery machine, all my other machines are older than 1970s.

From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL
    I bought a Kenmore which (I made sure) is a Janome...
    Portable and inexpensive feet that I can easily do Free Mot Quilting on...
    Works better for FMQ than my Husqvarna... :lol:

Was on sale and with feet/bobbins/needles was under $100

Just a thought!

Blog Entries
    They just don't make machines like they used to. I have a 30 year old Viking that I would just never part with. A real workhorse. I "inherited" this from a friend of my mom's that was a seamstress. Anyway, if you can get a nice second hand machine I would highly recommend it. And the dealer always makes it run like new. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by csharp
    I'm considering buying a second machine to either keep a walking foot on at all times or to do my machine piecing on and putting the walking foot on the one I currently have. I'm really undecided whether I should buy something cheaper (like at Target or the LQS) or a "used" better machine at a dealer....Can't seem to make up my mind. What do you "experienced" quilters do? It's difficult to stop everything and change to a walking foot if I am working on multiple projects...also wouldn't mind a second machine to do embroidery??? Am I dreaming....Opinions??? :lol:
    Watch those cheap ones. They are just that...CHEAP. Most of the internal parts are plastic. Go to a dealer and see if they have any trade-ins. Tell them what you are looking for and they should be able to help you. My Viking dealer is in our local Joann store. I have known her for years and she has always been very trustworthy. I have 5 machines I use all the time. I call my Designer I my workhorse because that is the one I use for everyday mending and ordinary sewing. My new Diamond is used almost exclusively for embroidery, because I can design on the computer and download it directly to the machine. My Topaz currently has the walking foot on it for quilting. The SE I have the 1/4" foot on it. I also have 2 sergers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast