Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buyers Beware >

Buyers Beware

Buyers Beware

Old 03-15-2011, 07:59 PM

When we purchase fabric from a Quilt Shop, we think we are getting top quality fabric. May not be so. I purshased some Clothworks brand fabric for $9.95 yard. As I started working on a new pattern Tribble Trouble, the trouble really began. I could not made the blocks come out to the right size. Finally I figured it out. A 8 1/2 inch block was shrinking by 1/2 inch when I applied steam. The width of the fabric was shrinking. I called the quilt shop and they ask me to bring it in. They did replace the fabric with a new piece that I washed and dried this time, but they did not want to replace. Only after I insisted, did they replace. So if you do not wash first at least steam and dampen heavily.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

I always prewash, so I am okay with that, but some of the new stuff is way too thin. I dont think its going to last long when you can nearly see through it!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:15 PM

good to know. I always heard that the companies print out a sample on cheaper cotton and ship it out to see how it sells before they make it on better stock. Always thought it was an urban legend, but it explains why you can find the same print in a bargain store and it's spit through thin, and then find the same one in a quilt store on better cotton. Would be nice to know. May be that shop was trying to use cheaper stock. Got caught?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 PM

I always wash, dry and iron my fabric before I use it. So any shrinkage would happen before I use it. But thanks for the tip.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by connie d
I always wash, dry and iron my fabric before I use it. So any shrinkage would happen before I use it. But thanks for the tip.
doing this too...
Old 03-15-2011, 09:19 PM

I'm working with a Moda Oasis charm pack right now that is very thin. I'm glad I only purchased one. My other Modas have been fine.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:56 PM

Wow, that's a large amount of shrinkage, thanks for the warning.