Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying fabric - interesting >

Buying fabric - interesting

Buying fabric - interesting

Old 08-16-2013, 01:27 PM

Default Buying fabric - interesting

I saw some fabric in a local quilt shop that I loved @$11.00/yd.

I found it on fabric.com for 6.29/yd but with 4.00 shipping.

I bought it from Amazon.com (it ships from fabric.com) for 6.29/yd and $1.00 shipping.

Score! I'm curious though why it cost less to ship thru Amazon than thru fabric.com, when they both come from the same place. Odd!
Old 08-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

Happens a lot!
Old 08-16-2013, 02:24 PM

I don't pay shipping for individual shipments at either place. I always meet the minimum for free shipping at Fabric.com ($35), and we have a prime account at Amazon that really pays for itself over the year, (when you break it down).

I've never bought fabric from Amazon though. Maybe Amazon has some sort of middle-man agreement with Fabric.com. Wider demographic.

Last edited by DebraK; 08-16-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
I don't pay shipping for individual shipments at either place. I always meet the minimum for free shipping at Fabric.com ($35), and we have a prime account at Amazon that really pays for itself over the year, (when you break it down).

I've never bought fabric from Amazon though. Maybe Amazon has some sort of middle-man agreement with Fabric.com. Wider demographic.

I found myself adding items to my cart on fabric.com just to get free shipping. I didn't want to do that or pay shipping. lol
Old 08-16-2013, 02:47 PM

I totally understand. They get me with some of their sales ;-)
Old 08-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

fabric.com offers free shipping at the $35 level- I can always find $35 worth of fabric to buy! I've been shopping with them for many years- they have great sales- and I can always spend enough for free shipping.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:52 PM

I may be wrong but didn't Amazon buy out Fabric.com?
Old 08-16-2013, 04:41 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

They DID buy fabric.com in June 2008....here, from their website:

I just received this newsletter from Fabric.com‘s owner Stephen Friedman:
Good Morning and Happy Tuesday. I hope this note finds you well.
Every family experiences milestones. They include the birth of a child, a college graduation, a job promotion, and a host of other important events.
We have always thought of our customers as members of the Fabric.com family and so it is appropriate that we share with you a major milestone in our company’s history. We are pleased to announce that Fabric.com has been purchased by Amazon.com, a global online retailer. We believe this milestone reflects our history of success in serving you, our customers, and that makes us very proud.
Allow me to share with you what the acquisition by Amazon means and, equally important, what it does not mean. What it does mean is that we will now have the resources to expand our inventory, and to more completely meet your needs. Over the next 12 months, we expect to increase the number of products we carry, and we will look to you for your thoughts on what that expanded inventory selection should include. It also means that we will have access to the best in customer service and order fulfillment technology, all to better serve you.
What the acquisition does NOT mean is a change in the people, the philosophy, or the business practices at Fabric.com. Your favorite products will still be available at www.fabric.com and our team and I will be here to serve you. Our overriding commitment to customer service will not change and the warm and friendly, family-oriented environment that we have created together, will not change.
I personally want to thank you for all of the friendship and support you have shown us over the years. All of us at Fabric.com look forward to serving you and the entire sewing community for many years to come.
Warmest personal regards, Stephen
Old 08-16-2013, 05:25 PM

Thank you Jan! I didn't know that. I still wonder why shipping is more if you order from fabric.com
Old 08-16-2013, 06:39 PM

Well, I supose it's like the US Postal Service. Yesterday I went to mail a package in a big brown envelope I purchased at Walmart. The big brown envelope would cost me $9.60 to mail. The lady working the counter at the PO handed me one of their free priority envelopes and nicely told me if I placed the big brown envelope inside the free priority envelope and re-addressed the package I would save over $4.00. Now, how do you explain this works?