Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a new sewing/quilting machine >

Buying a new sewing/quilting machine

Buying a new sewing/quilting machine

Old 01-25-2017, 01:49 PM

Default Buying a new sewing/quilting machine

I've just begun researching sewing/quilting machines. I'd like to have one within the next couple of months. It's Overwhelming! So many brands how do I know which is best? My budget is no more than $1k. I just had the pleasure of sewing on a $5k Bernina and a $2K Pfaff machine when I took a class at the quilt convention last week. Honestly, both were awesome. The machine I am currently using is 17 years old, so almost anything I buy would be an upgrade. Any recommendations within my budget would be helpful. TIA

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-25-2017 at 02:12 PM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 01-25-2017, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the QB. I have this machine and just Love it! The stitches are terrific. It has needle down, auto needle threading and is great for either sewing or quilting. It comes with the extension table and the knee lifter... once you get used to the lifter, you won't know how you ever sewed without it. And the seller is great to work with. http://www.sewvacdirect.com/juki-exc...UMkaAqbD8P8HAQ
Old 01-25-2017, 02:29 PM

I have a Juki 2010, love it! But it's a straight stitch only and I'm a mechanical machine girl. It's got a nice throat, nice and heavy and sturdy, thread trimmer and speed control, I do quilts and blankets and bags and garments and it's a fantastic machine. You actually have the budget for a couple of machines, you could get a Juki 2010 and a grace frame and still have money left over for a computerized machine with tons of stitches!! Have fun
Old 01-25-2017, 03:21 PM

I have a Brother Innova NX570Q. Not top of the line but I love it. I believe it is within your budget
Old 01-25-2017, 03:34 PM

Welcome aboard!

My recommendation would depend on whether you do other sewing (or just quilts), and if you live near a dealer. If you do other sewing, you should get a zigzag machine; if only quilts, straight stitch will do. It's also convenient to buy a brand you can have serviced easily, so see what nearby dealerships carry.

If you only quilt and don't want fancy stitches, I would go with the Juki 2010Q. It's an excellent straight-stitch-only machine, with lots of harp space for quilting. From everything I've heard, it's a high quality machine that will last for as long as you're sewing. I've sewn on one, and it was wonderful.

If you want some options of stitches, you likely won't be able to get the harp space you would with the Juki 2010 unless you buy used. The Janome 3160 is a nice machine with lots of stitches, for well below your budget. It's nice and compact if you go to sewing days away from work. The Janome Skyline S3 is a bit bigger, and closer to your budget. I find Janomes nice an reliable, easy to use, and they usually come with oodles of accessories (presser feet, extension table, etc.).

I personally like Pfaff machines for their IDT (integrated dual feed - so you don't need a walking foot). The Ambition series (essential, 1.0 or 2.0) would probably have something to fit your budget, and the Passport 3.0 is nice if you want portability.

The most important thing is that you're comfortable with the machine. Give one a test sew before you buy, to make sure it will suit you. Does it thread logically? Can you see your work well? Does it sound nice? Does the foot pedal suit your driving style? These are the types of things that are really personal, and can make the right machine for one person the wrong machine for someone else.

Good luck!
Old 01-25-2017, 03:46 PM

Weezie, if your 17-year old machine is still working, or can be repaired, and has zig-zag stitch, you could go for a straight-stitch only quilting machine such as the Juki TL2010Q, or newer TL2200Mini. You won't go wrong. I've had the TL2010Q for three years now, and am still amazed at the quality of that machine.

However, if your current machine is really "dead", then you'll probably want a machine to do both general sewing and quilting.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:03 PM

I have a Janome 6600 and LOVE it... that may be more that you want to spend. I also bought a smaller Janome Magnolia 7330 and I liked that so much that I bought a 2nd one to have a spare. It doesn't have the throat space that my 6600 has but its a great machine

https://smile.amazon.com/Janome-Magn...+magnolia+7330
Old 01-25-2017, 04:54 PM

Personally, I would go for the Pfaff. You will love the IDT of duel feed feature. I am a Pfaff girl and have had them form over 20 years. They are a work horse machine. The only thing I have ever done on it is a regular cleaning and tune up. You won't go wrong with Pfaff.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:37 PM

You can get a lot more bells and whistles with a drop-in, plastic bobbin case. However, if you plan to mend jeans or do a denim quilt, you want a metal hook/bobbin system. In the shop, we see those plastic bobbin cases jam on heavy fabric all the time.

The Bernina 330 is a solid machine that sells for around $900. You'd probably want to add the walking foot, which is around $160, and a quarter inch foot, which is about $9. I have an older model that's equivalent to the 330, and I quilt twin size on it. And I have a home business, in which we sew tons of Velcro and hem French Terry cloth. I also do all of my piecing and applique on this machine. It doesn't have a cutter, but those cutters are over-rated and tend to cause mechanical problems.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:35 PM

Baby Lock has a new machine Jazz. It's in your price range but it's big. Has a 12 inch work space, 28 built in stitches, built in needle threaded, drop in bobbin, 6 LED lights. I tried it out in the store and was fast and great fun. Don't know if it fits your needs. Maybe worth a look.

Last edited by CMQUILTER; 01-25-2017 at 11:37 PM.