Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
buying quilting magazines at a retail store vs subscription >

buying quilting magazines at a retail store vs subscription

buying quilting magazines at a retail store vs subscription

Old 11-09-2011, 06:51 AM

Ive cut back on mag subscriptions since they are just eye candy for me. The patterns are usually not the easiest method to use and if Im interested in a quilt by the time I finish what Im working on Ive forgotten about that pattern. It is a big hassle to try and find a pattern in a stack of magazines so like I said they are just eye candy for me.
Fun to look forward to finding in my mailbox and spending time reading them, but have never used a pattern in one.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:38 AM

I have let all my subscriptions lapse but I was at Fry's Electronics last night and noticed that they had four quilting magazines I hadn't seen yet, so I picked them up. Then on the way back past that rack, I noticed some more, so I got those too!

I hardly ever look inside the magazine before I buy it. If the cover interests me, I buy it, but I want the contents to be new to me when I sit down with my cup of coffee. ;-)

I think most of the time, the stuff they put into those plastic covers is junk. I'm sorry they put something really interesting into this one. I've been looking all over their site and haven't even found a single reference to that tabletopper.

Last edited by thepolyparrot; 11-09-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:51 AM

i subscribe to a quilt mag every few years--but never more than one, and never for more than a year. then i let it ride for a while. it seems that things get repetitive after a year, and i already have pattern books galore. like ragqueen03 said, i don't like being excluded from the "carrots" they dangle in front of the retail buyers, either. i like being able to see what's inside an issue, and pick and choose what i spend my bucks on. i know there are occasionally new revelations in the quilting world, and it's nice to find out about them--but hey, that's why i like this board!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I would think a subscription is just that , a year or what ever the term of the payment is , for the issues in full for the entire year . You did not subscribe to the "lite"version/subscription.
I totally agree.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:02 AM

I subscribe to some and buy others when I like them.
I've wondered the same thing, why does a new /random customer get something extra that regular subscribers DO NOT ???
What BURNS me up the MOST (and it's not just the quilt mags) is when they offer a LOWER PRICE to NEW subscribers than for RENEWALS !!!
What happened to rewarding your LOYAL LONGTIME READERS ???

Last edited by TexasGurl; 11-09-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:09 AM

did you check their site to see if it was there under free or bonus patterns?
Old 11-13-2011, 03:08 PM

Last night I was going down to my sister's to do some sewing (never works out - we never get around to sewing - lol) but I stopped and picked up the magazine. I am soo glad I did. The pattern was rated for a beginner (which is definitely me!) but the pattern has so many possibilites - table runners, coasters, mug rugs, candle mats! I gave my sister the magazine (her birthday was a couple of days ago so cheap gift - haha!)But on the subject of sewing - we made a real quick version of a snap bag - something we had been wanting to make for a long time. So all in all everything worked out great! I guess I just had to grumble a bit!
Old 11-21-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by merry View Post
I totally agree.
I also agree 100%!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:55 AM

Just a quick update! They sent me the pattern - so I gave it to my sister! They were very nice about it.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:13 AM

I got the Love of Quilting magazine for quite a while. At first every time I got one, I was so excited about a quilt in there. Even made a few. Then for a couple of years it seemed like there was nothing new, so I decided not to renew. And wouldn't you know it? The last 2or 3 mags. Had something that excited me. But I'm still not renewing cuz I know as soon as I do, no more excitement. I'm waiting for the quilt show and I can get magazines for 25 cents. Or I will buy one at the newsstand.then I'm not locked into any one subscription.