Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying Ruler Assortment >

Buying Ruler Assortment

Buying Ruler Assortment

Old 10-17-2014, 03:05 AM

Default Buying Ruler Assortment

As you probably realize, I am a novice quilter and my tool array is quite small. While I am not quite ready to buy yet, I am wondering what basic rulers ought I to get. I don't necessarily mean which brands but more what shapes of rulers should I look for to own a decent, simple assortment of hard-working, and hopefully multi-tasking, rulers? The ones to make it an easier task to cut your everyday shapes. I don't feel as though I must have every specialty ruler out there, just the basics, please. What shapes can you just not do without?
Old 10-17-2014, 03:09 AM

My first rulers 6 x 12 and 6 x 24. I use both all of the time. Buy rulers as you go along for specific projects ad techniques. Creative Grids have the built-in grippers to prevent slipping on the fabric.

sady
Old 10-17-2014, 03:16 AM

A 6"x24", I would consider a 'must', or even better, 6.5"x24" as well as some square rulers. I have them from 2.5" to 12.5" and use them all the time for squaring blocks. Another ruler that I use a lot is my 6"x12" - I bought this cheap and am surprised at how much I actually use it for small cutting jobs, trimming, taking to class etc.

I have one triangle that I've finally figured out how to use, lol, but can't say it was an investment. One thing that was an investment however, is the June Tailor Shape cut. I use it all the time. In fact, I had DH hand carry it back from Houston to the UK for me as it wouldn't fit in his case!
Old 10-17-2014, 03:20 AM

I love my square up rulers, especially the 6 1/2 inch one and the 12 1/2 inch. I have a 3 x 6 and a 3 x 12 I use all the time for general trimming.

I use my coupons and buy my rulers at Joan's or Hancock Fabrics most of the time. I have paid retail for very few of my rulers.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:27 AM

A few have answered with the two ruler sizes I already have: I should have said already that I own a Fiskars 24X6 ruler (a gift), and a 12½ square one. That's it. My mat is a Fiskars 23X17, gifted as a set with the Fiskars ruler.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:33 AM
Power Poster

I have a lot of rulers that I use, have picked up as needed, or received as gifts... The ones that are definitely used everyday, my I would hate to live without... Are- the 6" X 24", 6 1/2" square, my "flying geese" ruler. Those 3 are used A Lot! Others I use often, picked up along the way, happy to have are the different sized squares. (2 1/2", 4 1/2", 12 1/2", 15", 16 1/2", 20") I still want a 9 1/2".... And then there are the triangle and wedge rulers- as I found projects needing them I picked them up, they are not used as often, but when I need them its nice to have them
Old 10-17-2014, 03:40 AM

Along with 6 1/2" wide rulers I think a good first other template is the easy angle template for HSTs.....that was one of my "firsts" and I still go back to it after any yrs....
Old 10-17-2014, 03:44 AM

My most frequently used are a 4" x 14" (used most) 6" x 24", and my June Tailor Shape Cut rulers. I have several rectangles in other sizes but I actually like the 4" wide one best. I wouldn't mind having the same but a bit longer, like 18". I have squares in a bunch of sizes, but use the 6-1/2" and 12-1/2" most. I've got a few others, triangles and specialty rulers, but don't use them as often as the rest. When I cut a lot of small pieces, I'd rather use a smaller ruler. I guess that's why my 4" x 14" gets used most. It's easier to handle.

Think about the patterns you want to make. For instance I never make huge blocks, so a 18" square would be a waste for me. But if that's what someone else makes frequently, it would probably be helpful for them to have it.

When you do shop, consider the lines on it as well as size. Not just color, but also the amount of lines. I have one that has lines every 1/8" in both directions, and they are all black, it's too easy to cut on the wrong one! I like the Omnigrip with the yellow or green/black. It's easy on my eyes. There are other colors too, so see what is easy on YOUR eyes.

You might want to get something to help prevent slipping too. I like Invisigrip. I have many rulers and have it on all of them, even the June Tailor shape cut - I just cut narrow strips and applied between the slots. I still have leftover from the initial package I bought.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:49 AM

You can get by with one ruler with angles showing on it, although two is easier. In addition to that, I bought Kaye Wood's Starmaker 5, 6, and 8. The 6 is an equilateral triangle (60 degree triangle). The 8 is a right angle triangle (45/90 degree). Those two (not necessarily the same brand, but something with those angles) are fairly essential. I bought the 5 because I'm facinated with 5 pointed stars.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

i could not live without my 6.5x24 ruler, which is fluorescent green with laser cut markings... easy to see and to see through... i wish all of my rulers were fluorescent green with laser cut markings. my other favorite rulers are 6" square and a 12" square up ruler. i rarely use the other rulers in my collection.