Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Scrappy Fabric

Buying Scrappy Fabric

Am I the only person that actually goes out and buys fabric to make a scrappy quilt? I know it defeats the concept of a "scrap" quilt, but I'm never satisfied with the real scraps I have.
    Penny

No, you're not the only one! Sometimes I want a color that I don't have. If it makes you happy, go for it!!

Power Poster
    My LQS sometimes has scrap bags for $10 and I have bought one when doing a scrappy to get more variety.

When I did a Bonnie Hunter mystery several years ago I hadn't been quilting long enough to have much of a scrap stash so I went around everywhere and bought several 1/4yd cuts of fabric from each place I went. My quilt turned out great!

Cari

One of the ladies in my quilt group has a room packed full of fabric but doesn't want to deal with organizing it so whenever she wants to do a scrappy quilt she goes to Joann's to buy fabric then cuts it into scraps. Makes no sense to me but it's her fabric not mine, and it makes her happy.

I've bought fabric for a scrappy quilt too. Didn't have want I needed.

Every quilt I make I try to use fabric that I already have. I want to use up what I have, but it seems I always have to go out any buy some more to finish the quilt. And it always feels that I have more fabric after I finish the quilt than when I started.

I have done it both ways.. and sometimes I am not thrilled with the out come either.

If I want a scrappy feel to my quilt but don't have the right colors I go shopping -- and that just kills me ha ha

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    At one point in time the fabric for the scraps was purchased new. Same goes for fabric (shirts, dresses, etc.) was purchased and the clothing was made.

...and sometimes, even when they're organized, and you have colors that will do, you're just plain tired of them! That's why I have to keep having giveaways. When I've used the same fabric enough times that it doesn't bring me joy, out it goes. In with the new.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast