Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying Too Many Quilt Books? >

Buying Too Many Quilt Books?

Buying Too Many Quilt Books?

Old 08-14-2013, 09:48 AM

Question Buying Too Many Quilt Books?

I just love quilt books. Ones that focus on patterns, techniques, patchwork, applique, history, anything. I think it's the layouts and beautiful quilts. I see these books and want to make that quilt "someday", although I probably have more books than I could ever really make all their quilts. I know there is e-books and the internet (for free patterns), but I just love the feeling of taking a new book home and dreaming of my own future quilts. I feel guilty about spending the money, but at the time I feel like I got to have it.

Maybe I will be sorry someday for having bought a lot of books, but I treasure my collection, especially older or out-of-print books. Am I the only one who still loves hard-copy books?
Old 08-14-2013, 10:04 AM

Count me in. I have it B-A-A-D! And I don't feel guilty, so neither should you. They give us a lot of pleasure, and I figure, so many people spend so much money on cigarettes, drinking, and gambling, etc. and I do none of that. At least we have something to show for our money, right? And in the future all those books (and yards of fabric, patterns, etc.) can be resold if necessary. Feeling better now? Lol! (I'm pretty good at justifying....)
Old 08-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

I love my collection, but we are planning to move. Have found some books that I really don't need anymore, and those have gone to the local "friends" of the library. I have a lot left, though -- many more than I will ever use. Still love having them. My dh has a collection of over 3,000 classical records, so I don't feel *too* guilty over my collection of quilting books.

It is the quilt magazines that are worse for me. I have spent countless hours going through them page by page, marking pages I want to keep, giving the "friends" magazines that don't have at least one marker in them. Not sure there is enough time in my lifetime to go through all of them! This experience has finally convinced me to stop buying magazines. I even quit looking at them when I go out, so I won't be tempted to buy another one!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

there is something very special about sitting down with a wonderful book- I never feel guilty about purchasing a new book and have (5) 7-foot book shelves plus a hall closet and sewing room closet shelf to prove it. you never know when you will go back through a book you purchased 10 years ago and find the perfect quilt for that moment! I often pull a stack of books off the shelf and just sit looking through them in the evening-when I need some ideas/inspiration for a new project- or when I want to use a particular technique I haven't done in a while & need to refresh my memory- or I need some measurements...what ever... I have my kindle for books I want to sit & read- but quilting/craft books I will always purchase as books- I love my books! my shelves would be awfully empty without them.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

I love them to!!!!
Old 08-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

I much prefer a book. I tend to study the pattern/picture quite a bit before I actually embark on it. I love looking at them at bed time just before I nod off and some patterns are very complex, I need to read the directions several times and have it handy when cutting and assembling. I also jot notes because I often modify the cutting or sewing directions to a method I like better. So no, you are not the only one that enjoys their quilt books. I turn to my books more than anything for inspiration and just plain simple enjoyment. Although my library is not as extensive as many here.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

I would much rather (and so does DH) spend my money on something that can help create a utilitarian object than spend money on a scandal rag. He used to look at me when I would bring the quilt books and magazines home. I told him it's this quilt book or a scandal rag. No more mention. He looks through the quilt books and puts post it notes with names as to reference which would be great gift for whom.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:05 PM

I love "real" books!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

I love my books. Magazines too!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

Quilting books are a little bit of heaven. I love my collection and never pass up a chance to grow the collection.

I also make notations about the patterns I have made right in the book, thinking that future owners of the book might enjoy seeing how other people worked a quilt.

One of my favorite things is to pile a stack of books on my bed and lounge with them.

enjoy your collection.
Please give us a list of your favorites!
peace