Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Calculating Sashing and Cornerstones >

Calculating Sashing and Cornerstones

Calculating Sashing and Cornerstones

Old 09-24-2013, 01:37 PM

Red face Calculating Sashing and Cornerstones

I hope that someone can/will help me with calculating Sashing and cornerstones for a block swap quilt that I will be making. I will have 12 squares that measure 12 1/2 inches before assembling. I plan to use a 4 x 3 array with 3 squares across and 4 squares down. How wide should the sashing be? I plan tp apply the vertical sashing first to connect the rows of three squares so next i need to know What length do I cut the horizontal sashing pieces to attach to the corner stones so that it will fit perfectly with my rows of squares and Sashing?

I hope this all makes sense! I usually follow a pattern and someone has already done all of the math!!!

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

It is up to you to determine how wide each strip is. I like mine @2" for a 12" block. So the width of the strip would need to be cut at 2 1/2" - I usually draw my grid on paper so I can count how many sashings and how many corner stones it will take. You also have to decide how you will treat the outer edge: Are you adding the sashing color as a border or are you extending the corner stones to the edge. Either works - I've done both.

Assuming you want to put a solid border around the outside you will need 8 strips 2.5 x 12.5 for the horizontal pieces. Sew the strips to the sides of your center block and attach the sides. That gives you the width of a row.

Then you will need 9 strips 2.5 x 12.5 for between the rows. You will also need 6 corner stones 2.5 x 2.5
Using the same seam allowance, sew long strip to corner stone to long strip to corner stone to long strip.

I make sure that I press the side sashing on the rows opposite to the corner stones. That way they will all nest nicely when I attach the two together. I hope that helps.

When the top is sewn you can measure across the center to get the correct measurements for the border.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

Both the horizontal and vertical sashing should be cut the same size as the block, 12.5 inches. The width is up to you. I would lay the uncut sashing fabric on a table or board, then arrange some of the blocks to see what width you like with your blocks. There's no set rule. What ever width you decide on, add 1/2" for the seam allowance. For instance, if you think 2" sashing will look good, cut the strips 12.5 X 2.5. The cornerstones would be a square cut to the width, 2.5C2.5
Old 09-24-2013, 06:16 PM

Great explanation, MadQuilter! Thanks!
Old 09-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

I do mine like MadQuilter does hers. I usually put the sashes and cornerstones on the outside edge also and then put a border whatever size I want around the quilt top.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:41 PM

Thanks, jingle! I can't wait until October to get all of the blocks so that I can start assembling. My guild did a pizza box swap so I haven't seen my box since January. Each month a member added a block according to my specifications. I asked for 12 inch finished blocks in black and white only.