Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
calling all hand quilters??? >

calling all hand quilters???

calling all hand quilters???

Old 01-11-2011, 09:20 AM

\/\/\/\/ She would know\/\/\/\/

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
I always use special hand quilting thread and my favourite brand is YLI, but from time to time I also use Coats or Gütermann. Hand quilting threads are very strong and coated to prevent knots and tangling.
I can recommend two books about quilt marking: "Mastering Quilt Marking" by Pepper Cory and "Beautifully Quilted" by Alex Anderson. For me they were both very helpful.
I always try to have all the corners of the quilt the same regarding the quilting pattern. Many stencils include a corner solution and I start with the corners when marking. The space between has to be devided through the length of the pattern repeat. As already mentioned, you have to measure a little!
You can also start to mark the corners , work toward the middle or your border and "break it up" there or add another pattern. It is a little easier because you don't have to measure so much.
For both options the quilting is done clockwise or counterclockwise.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:25 AM

I saw a program with Alex Anderson sometime back and the guest on the show said to use freezer paper, tracing paper, or the yellow quilting paper and piece it together the length of the quilt border. Draw you design out and then you will know just how it is going to fit. Make notations as you draw on the paper so you can then do the same on the quilt border. I use a #10 between needle and most often use the YLI thread.