Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Caloco vrs Cotton

Hello, I wondered if some kind sole could tell me about Calico. Is it ok to use as part of a quilt, is it ok for backing and how does it feel different to cotton, can it be quilted ok by hand or is it quite stiff ?
    Many thanks
    Katherine

calico is quilting cotton...one in the same. Some stores will point out their calico wall where the quilting fabric is :D

bj
    I think calico is a quilting cotton that usually has a small floral print to it.

Maxies

You can use Calico in your quilt, there are different grades some is really rough the type I prefer is lovely & soft. You could use it if you were thinking of including some red work into your quilt. I'm in the middle of making a quilt for my MIL & am thinking of incorporating some soft calico then embroider or appliqued a design onto it.
    Good luck what ever you decide to do.

Tisha

Calico is just a quilters' weight cotton of standard (50-75) thread count weave with a printed pattern. It's what 90% of modern quilts are made from. (yes, I just made up that statistic) :lol: