Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Camo Fabric, for Soldier's Quilt >

Camo Fabric, for Soldier's Quilt

Camo Fabric, for Soldier's Quilt

Old 09-12-2015, 07:19 AM

Default Camo Fabric, for Soldier's Quilt

I just received my second soldier, through Adopt A Platoon, and would like to make a small, simple quilt for her. My problem is finding the appropriate camo fabric. She's in the army and stationed in Kuwait, so I'd like to find something as close as possible to her uniform and other gear (so that she can safely carry/use it in the field, if needed).

After doing an online search for the actual uniform, I did a search for matching (or at least similar) fabric, with no luck. I'm assuming she has a 'desert' pattern uniform, which appears to be mostly gray-tan, from what I can tell from online pictures. My question is - Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of the army uniforms being worn in Kuwait AND do you by any chance know of a source for similar fabric?

Please don't suggest I write and ask the soldier for a picture or description. It's often difficult for these soldiers to write letters, so I don't want to add that burden to the ones she already has.

Thanks, everyone!
Old 09-12-2015, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

Here are a few choices on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Fabric-/2816...p2045573.m1684
Old 09-12-2015, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Thanks bunches but I'm really looking for a fabric that looks like the actual camo, used for the uniforms and gear.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

I imagine carring gear is regulated. Their packs are so heavy that anything extra is left out. I would make a colourful quilt for a spot of colour in her tent.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:14 AM

Hi Neesie,

This shop looks interesting.
https://www.lurasfabricshop.com/camo...amouflage.html
Old 09-12-2015, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
Hi Neesie,

This shop looks interesting.
https://www.lurasfabricshop.com/camo...amouflage.html
Thank you, sooooo very much!!! A few of those look very much like the pictured army uniforms! {{{{{BIG HUG}}}}}
Old 09-12-2015, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I imagine carring gear is regulated. Their packs are so heavy that anything extra is left out. I would make a colourful quilt for a spot of colour in her tent.
Thanks for the response. I did consider something colorful but wasn't sure if it might in any way, present a safety concern, even inside the tent. For that reason, I started thinking something more subtle might be better . . . and if I was going to make it in duller colors, decided to go all out and make something that could be taken into the field, if needed.

I'm waiting to hear back from some friends who were in the army, for their opinions on this. Above all, I don't want to send her anything that might, in ANY way, pose a threat to her safety.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Tartan is right. I've had numerous family and friends who have fought abroad. They would keep a quilt in the barracks/base camp. They get these flimsy but warm-enough solar blankets that fold small enough to fit in your pocket for the field & weigh about as much as a postcard.

If you like the look of camo, go for it. Just keep in mind that they are surrounded by sand, dust, dirt & dull colors not just during work hours, but during most of their free time as well (when soldiers could enjoy a quilt). You might consider a bright, patriotic Red, White & Blue quilt as an alternative. I had a Navy friend who received one of those with giant USA letters appliqued on it while he was on active duty. He really loved it. Another friend got a "Navy" quilt that just had a giant US Naval Forces logo in the center with simple piecing around the borders. He's a teacher now & proudly hung it at the entrance to the school. If you're going to use camo print, maybe put that on the back & use something a bit brighter on the front. Just a suggestion.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:41 AM

If you know someone in the army and they live on or near a base ask them to go to the thrift shop and pick up a used uniform. You can deconstruct it and add to the quilt. That's what I did for this tuffet I always get an XL or a maternity uniform. [ATTACH=CONFIG]530550[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 09-12-2015, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Stashelf View Post
If you know someone in the army and they live on or near a base ask them to go to the thrift shop and pick up a used uniform. You can deconstruct it and add to the quilt. That's what I did for this tuffet I always get an XL or a maternity uniform. [ATTACH=CONFIG]530550[/ATTACH]
What a brilliant idea!