Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone briefly explain the Ricky Tims CONVERENCE method?

Blog Entries

Can anyone briefly explain the Ricky Tims CONVERENCE method?

I saw a few beautiful quilts @ local Quilt Show in Mesa AZ yesterday using this method. It is PERFECT for the background of a quilt that has been "brewing" in my head... Thanks in advance for any help!

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    this is bridging on copyright infringement....that's why they publish the books... they want us to buy them... search the net and youtube for Ricky's demos... he has a right to give the info away, not us...

I bought a book of his at a "trunk sale" made a "mug rug" as a gift for a quilter who had shared her fabrics with me. Hopefully you can find a book with a version of his technique.... it's fun!
    Last edited by thimblebug6000; 03-10-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deemail View Post
    this is bridging on copyright infringement....that's why they publish the books... they want us to buy them... search the net and youtube for Ricky's demos... he has a right to give the info away, not us...
    Techniques cannot be copyrighted. It's fine to describe how something is done, as long as you use your own words. I do have Ricky's book on harmonic convergence quilts, and it's worth buying, if only for the eye candy. He describes several different methods and shows examples.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deemail View Post
    discussing a technique is not copyright infringement. authors/designers cannot copyright conversation if so that would put just about most of the quilt guilds and quilters in violation. oh no....where are the quilt police?
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by borntoquilt View Post
    I saw a few beautiful quilts @ local Quilt Show in Mesa AZ yesterday using this method. It is PERFECT for the background of a quilt that has been "brewing" in my head... Thanks in advance for any help!
    if you do a google search, there is info out there on how this method is actually done. i had the same questions as you several years back and did a search and found my answer. happy searching.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    discussing a technique is not copyright infringement. authors/designers cannot copyright conversation if so that would put just about most of the quilt guilds and quilters in violation. oh no....where are the quilt police?
    No quilting police PLEASE Let everyone do their own thing

I'm sure she wasn't intending to be the quilt police - she was trying to keep people from infringing on someone else's rights to intellectual property. There's so much information and dis-information about what constitutes copyright infringement out there, it's no wonder people are confused.

But, no you can't copyright a technique.

There's a lot of instruction on the web about constructing quilts of the type that Ricky Tims calls "Convergence."

His book is really a good one for making everything clear and easier to follow, though.

Okay let's see if I can post the couple pictures I did Name:  P1010906 (Small).JPG
Views: 348
Size:  60.0 KBName:  P1010907 (Small).JPG
Views: 353
Size:  58.1 KBName:  P1010908 (Small).JPG
Views: 354
Size:  52.9 KB This shows the fabrics I started with & their layout before stitching/once the stitching & slicing was done & final mugrug. Hope this helps you a little more.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all your comments. I did not intend to "stir up a can of worms" with this. Just wanted to know GENERAL way it was cut and put together. Thanks, thimblebug, for the pictures. They helped alot! And I can sit and STUDY them. Think I will be able to duplicate. If not, I'll buy the derned book (anybody have one for sale CHEAP?? lol !) and make some people here on the QB HAPPY !!!! Happy Quilting !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast