Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can it be done.... >

Can it be done....

Can it be done....

Old 08-08-2011, 12:34 AM

or even should it!!! I have a beautiful tablecloth that my mother embroidered for us when we got married almost 32 years ago. We have sold the china that went with it and we no longer use tablecloths. I also have a similar one given to me my my aunt as a shower gift done in verigated browns.

Do you think it can be made into a quilt top instead? Its not l00%cotton and I am not really sure what it is. I have tried to take a picture of fabric so you have an idea. Also including picture of parts of tablecloth.

I havbe 2 daughters so they would each have a quilt if it can be done (they would be more apt to use a quilt than a tablecloth)

Do you think I should try it or just keep it as is - It is very special to me but its not being used!!!! Help!!!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-238265.jpe   attachment-238266.jpe   attachment-238267.jpe  
Old 08-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by emsgranny
or even should it!!! I have a beautiful tablecloth that my mother embroidered for us when we got married almost 32 years ago. We have sold the china that went with it and we no longer use tablecloths. I also have a similar one given to me my my aunt as a shower gift done in verigated browns.

Do you think it can be made into a quilt top instead? Its not l00%cotton and I am not really sure what it is. I have tried to take a picture of fabric so you have an idea. Also including picture of parts of tablecloth.

I havbe 2 daughters so they would each have a quilt if it can be done (they would be more apt to use a quilt than a tablecloth)

Do you think I should try it or just keep it as is - It is very special to me but its not being used!!!! Help!!!!
It is beautiful - are you contemplating a whole cloth that would just be backed with batting between and quilted, or are you thinking of cutting it and piecing it? If it were me, I would go down the first route. If it isn't big enough you could add suitable borders, or just use it on top of your bed, on point, as decoration.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:22 AM

I would definitely use it as a whole cloth with borders if necessary and beautiful quilting. It could be breath-takingly
spectacular!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:52 AM

It looks like its linen to me and from the vintage it could be. Counted thread cross stitch on linen was very popular here around that time.

I think it will be a beautiful quilt top and its something that your daughters can look at and and know that their grandmother worked it and you constructed it!!

I'm going to look through my linen press now, I have some tablecloths worked by my grandmother and there could be a world of possibilities for them. Thanks for the suggestion and good luck with your project.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by TanyaL
I would definitely use it as a whole cloth with borders if necessary and beautiful quilting. It could be breath-takingly
spectacular!

Ditto! Go for it. It's beautiful.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:21 AM

Love the idea.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:47 AM

I just found one during a move with my parents. I was wondering the same thing. Mine is a linen vintage tablecloth with flowers and fruit around the border. I was thinking a whole cloth quilt also. I was wondering if anyone has done this and could share a picture of the final product.

Thanks....
Old 08-08-2011, 03:21 AM
dd

That's a great idea. Wish I had a tablecloth.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:01 AM

Yes, it can be done! In my opinion it is a way of preserving something that would otherwise be stuck in a drawer. A quilt would be lovely.

I am presently working on the same idea. I have a tablecloth made for me by an 89 year old, now deceased, lady, but it does not fit our dining table that well. I am putting borders around it (stitching it down by applique) and then will quilt the whole thing with a special design in the middle.

My tablecloth is also a blend so the fabric used on the borders will be pre-shrunk or also a blend (same with batting and backing). The back will have a label with her picture, dates, etc.

Cindy Needham has a book out about Wholecloth Linen Quilts that you might find interesting.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:02 AM

I'm a flea marketer, so my first thought would be to pick up something similar and do a "test run" first, to make sure I liked the end result.

At the end of the day, it's YOURS to do with as you wish. If you would enjoy it more in a new form, then by all means do it!