Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can this be done in two weeks? >

Can this be done in two weeks?

Can this be done in two weeks?

Old 03-18-2015, 08:46 PM

There are 5 rows of 7 12 1/2" blocks with a 3" border.

Pics are on my profile page. Need to put some new ones up when it's done. It is a tan and white Dresden Plate quilted by the piece(as you go)with a stenciled border and stenciling where the corners of the blocks meet.

I didn't really sit down and plan this thing. I'm kind of figuring it out as I go along.

It was a kit I got as a gift about 25 years ago. I never worked on it when I was younger because I thought the colors were kind of... meh. just started monkeying around with it to have something to practice on since I haven't sewn much beyond mending in years and I was never much of a sewer in the first place.

It's turning out better than I thought it would. I'm very happy with it so far.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:45 AM
Power Poster

I am sure you can accomplish your goal. Just jump right in there and do it. Good Luck.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:31 AM
Power Poster

I think you can, if you use your time wisely. I can make a quilt in two weeks and I work full time, take care of a bird, 3 cats and 2 little dogs, plus housework and laundry. I am 69 soon to be 70. I still get into bed at my usual time. I go to bed early and get up early. I sew every evening for a couple of hours and on weekends in between above chores.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:29 AM

I'm thinking if I were making it for a man, I would make the pillow shams with plain edges. You already have the eyelet dust ruffle and maybe the prairie points for the quilt.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Sure, if you dive in and work on it. Its amazing how much you can get done in a couple hours if you are organized and stay at it
I agree !!!
Old 03-19-2015, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by DresiArnaz View Post
Mine is a tad oversized.

Around 66 x 88 or so.
It doesn't sound too oversized to me. The mattress dimensions I keep seeing are 39 x 75 so your quilt size sounds right to me. I have seen where people make them smaller but it doesn't seem like they would fit over the bed. I don't have a twin bed to judge by, only going by dimensions.

Thank you for letting me know.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:00 AM

It is amazing what a determined quilter can do, so if you give it your all I don't see why you can't accomplish what you want. Good thoughts coming at you for success, and I see that you just joined us so a very warm welcome also.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:08 AM

Don't know what kind of dust ruffle but if it's the type that has fabric that you lay across the box springs, what I do is cut all that off, I don't like that type at all! Then I use elastic (cheap stuff) and apply it to the top. If the dust ruffle was too big to begin with I make the adjustment when sewing on the elastic. Don't know about you but centering that over the box springs & then getting the mattress back on top is not my idea of fun. LOL. Reminds me of Laural & Hardy getting the piano up the stairs
Old 03-19-2015, 11:54 AM

What I was planning to do is undo the short ends, trim off however much I need to to make it twin sized, stitch it closed and gather the short ends to fit or I could whack some of the ruffle off... I'll just have to see what will work.

Yippee!

The long borders are ready to attach!

I got a late start. Had to buy groceries today and I'm working in fits as I do laundry.

I'm getting there!
Old 03-20-2015, 09:20 AM

If you are making prairie points that are all different colors that will take a lot longer than to make them all the same using the method I saw on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25fnkU7L2qc