Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can i clean my ironing table cover? >

Can i clean my ironing table cover?

Can i clean my ironing table cover?

Old 07-12-2014, 10:31 AM

Default Can i clean my ironing table cover?

My DH made me a wonderful ironing "board"...it has gotten a lot of use, and there are strings/lint stuck on it from spray starch. Is there a way to clean it without unstapling the whole thing? Or should i just recover it? :}
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 07-12-2014, 10:38 AM

Okay, here is my solution. I just keep recovering my ironing board. However, I have made 4 different covers that I can take off and wash them. Love your board and I would suggest, taking a nice piece of plain white or creme colored fabric, measure your board and put elastic around the edges (either sewn or make a pocket for it) and then you can take covers off and throw them in the washing machine. Or, you can make a hem (about 2 inches) around the entire cover, about 2inches bigger than you need leaving about 3 inches open in the hem. Then you can thread a strong cotton string (or leftover selvedge strip) through it using a giant safety pin and pull it nicely around the board and tie it with a bow. When needing washing, take it off and wash it. Kind of like a slip cover. Just a couple of things that I do.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:35 AM

I would do exactly as QuiltingHaven has suggested. You might get a tighter fit with the string method than the elastic. At least I'm sure I would!
Old 07-12-2014, 12:16 PM

I made mine with elastic so I can wash it. Then the other day, I left the iron face down on it (have never ever done that before) and it's scorched. So I guess I need to wash it now and hope some of it comes out.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:21 PM

maybe try that spray carpet cleaner? Like you do car seats..spray it on and wipe after it dries vacuum.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:05 PM

Try ironing freezer paper to it and then peel off.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

That is what I am using: Freezer paper. Maybe not too "green" of an ideal but it is simple and works great !!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:33 PM

I am not sure how to resolve your problem. My DH had also made me a big board for the ironing. When I use spray starch or sizing, I use an old top sheet, when it gets loaded with strings and too much starch, I can just wash it. The ironing board stays clean when I'm just iron backing fabric
Old 07-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

I think I would do the cover with elastic or cord and just put it over your fastened down cover.

I also put a cover over the cover when I starch/size the fsbric, but the regular cover seems to need to be washed evrry so often, too.