Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I fix these quilts? >

Can I fix these quilts?

Can I fix these quilts?

Old 03-30-2012, 04:50 AM

Default Can I fix these quilts?

I made two quilts for hubby's sister at Christmas. They were identical in fabric and design, both made with Kona cottons in red, black, and white. I prewashed all the fabrics, the red twice. After seeing no more colored water with the red, I continued on with the construction of quilts. After finishing the quilts and receiving the desired - "Oh, they are perfect", I thought I was done. We were just at their house and saw the quilts. So Ashamed.....the red fabric bled and now the white is pink. She even put in several color catchers as suggested. I really don't know any details of the washings and am assuming they have been dried too. Is there anything I can do to fix these quilts?
Old 03-30-2012, 05:36 AM

I'm sorry to hear that, I too have had this problem with that brand. Swore them off awhile back. However I have tons of it in my stash that someday I'm sure I'll use. Color safe bleach helps but doesnt always get it all out. Good luck I hope some one has the answer.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

You could try Synthropol http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/2127-AA.shtml

It may take out the bleed.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

I am so sorry this has happened to your quilt. Call me a chicken but I avoid white and red even with colour catchers for that reason. I looked at that beautiful exhibition of red and white antique quilts and wonder how they managed back before retayne, synthrapol and colour catchers? Maybe with continued washing the colour will come out of the white? I don't know how you can fix it now. If you ask for the quilt back to wash it in synthrapol, will she feel insulted that you think she hasn't washed it properly? You could ask if it bothers her with the whites being pink and offer to try to correct it? What a dilemma!
Old 03-30-2012, 02:46 PM

Have any of you tried the Moda Bella solids? I have never had a problem with them.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:30 PM

I just read, somewhere, that a woman had a bad bleed on her blue and white quilt...she washed it in oxyclean, first in cold water, then a second time in warm water. It worked! The quilt looks great and I could not see that it had bled at all.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:35 PM

thanks for the suggestions, I will ask and she if she will let me do a bit of "experimentation"....I feel like I need to try something......If I get all the bleed out, can I then use retayne to set the red so it doesn't bleed any more?