Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can I get crazy and use embroidery to hand quilt?

Can I get crazy and use embroidery to hand quilt?

I have a queen sized modern quilt in the frame- I am using pick-stitch style quilting around the design elements, but have a nice 6" border I could do designs in.
    If I wanted to embroider flowers or other motifs in the border, could I just go thru to the backing some of the time to actually quilt the layers together? for instance, embroider a flower, and have the center stitch of each one go thru the backing...
    or, have I lost my mind completely?
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

I would give it a try, I do my needle turn applique after I have hand quilted my quilts.

Power Poster
    The problem with adding embroidery to a quilt sandwich is, hiding the knots as you end your designs. If you can work so you can knot your threads inside the sandwich at the edge of the border, I don't see why that wouldn't work. The random stitches through the sandwich would be like tying every 4 inches or so.

Check out Nikki Tinkler' book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quilting-Dif.../dp/1900371707 you can quilt with any embroidery stitch you want- although some will work better than others.

I LOVE that book! why, why can't I get the kindle edition, and why why is it not in stock??
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

Blog Entries
    give it a try and see how it looks. You won't know till you try it
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.