Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I see pics of your Christmas stockings? >

Can I see pics of your Christmas stockings?

Can I see pics of your Christmas stockings?

Old 12-06-2015, 01:59 PM

Default Can I see pics of your Christmas stockings?

A friend at church today asked me if I would help her make Christmas stockings for her family of 4. I told her it was too late for me this year, but would make them for next year. Now I don't know yet if she wants them quilted or just one piece of fabric on front, back & lining. She also wants the names of each family member embroidered on the cuff but I don't embroider. If we make the stockings, could they then be taken to someone with an embroidery machine & names put on then or does it have to be a flat piece that can be put in a hoop? I don't know anything about embroidery machines.

Can I see pictures of what some of y'all have made?

The Crafty Gemini had a good tutorial here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtLOTwbLaRg
Old 12-06-2015, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

If you are going to ask a home embroiderer to do it, you would give them the fabric before construction. A commercial embroiderer should have the appropriate equipment to do the finished stocking, but you would want to check first to make sure. If going to an embroidery shop, be sure to also discuss the price and lead time needed.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

I would do a different quilt pattern for each stocking. Lots of ideas on Google:
https://www.google.com/search?q=chri...lting+patterns
I thought these were very cute:
http://camilleroskelley.typepad.com/simplify/page/14/
Old 12-06-2015, 03:10 PM

Our Christmas stockings were made when beading and sequins were all the rage. You don't remember that ever being the rage??? Then you're too young. And still that leaves you lots of years to choose from. As new members joined the family, had to keep finding my box of supplies because they weren't available.

I'm open to new ideas. Not only styles have changed, our family situation has changed. And we no longer have a mantel. Would love to see pictures.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:13 PM

I'm thinking we'll redecorate the living space this coming year so maybe I'll just wait and see how that developes.

Are there links to stockings on pinterest?
Old 12-06-2015, 04:11 PM

I would do an advanced search here. I came across some I saved from here. I loved the whole clothe ones by paper princess and pumpkin patch quilter (her's was titled Victorian whole clothe Christmas stockings). I can never seem to copy the link on my iPad. Sorry.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:36 PM

Last year I made stockings following a YouTube video by Eleanor Burns. The video includes a crazy quilt stocking and a strip stocking. They were fun to make. Just search for Eleanor Burns Christmas stocking on YouTube.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:11 PM

I don't take finished projects to the embroiderer any more. If they mess up, your whole project is ruined. Lately, I just bring an oversized piece of the fabric I want embroidered & then when I get it back I cut it down to size & piece it and then quilt.

At the latest, you could bring your pieced stocking "quilt top". I think it would be tricky to do a nice job with the embroidery if it's already quilted (and I would imagine the stabilizer would then be visible on the top inside of the stocking. Make sure to discuss the cost of the embroidery with your friend in advance. I typically pay around $8-10 per name where I live.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I don't take finished projects to the embroiderer any more. If they mess up, your whole project is ruined. Lately, I just bring an oversized piece of the fabric I want embroidered & then when I get it back I cut it down to size & piece it and then quilt.

At the latest, you could bring your pieced stocking "quilt top". I think it would be tricky to do a nice job with the embroidery if it's already quilted (and I would imagine the stabilizer would then be visible on the top inside of the stocking. Make sure to discuss the cost of the embroidery with your friend in advance. I typically pay around $8-10 per name where I live.
I have an embroidery machine and oh are you smart. There are a lot of things that can go wrong embroidering names and I never embroider on a finished product -- it is way too stressful.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:55 AM

Here are the ones I just finished for our son and his family. I got the pattern for the stockings on embilibrary.com and I got the designs from them also. I have 3 more to go for our granddaughter and her family. I cut the stocking out then placed the design on the front, quilted the lining and sewed them together. I embroidered the name on the cuff then sewed it to the stocking.[ATTACH=CONFIG]537381[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
A friend at church today asked me if I would help her make Christmas stockings for her family of 4. I told her it was too late for me this year, but would make them for next year. Now I don't know yet if she wants them quilted or just one piece of fabric on front, back & lining. She also wants the names of each family member embroidered on the cuff but I don't embroider. If we make the stockings, could they then be taken to someone with an embroidery machine & names put on then or does it have to be a flat piece that can be put in a hoop? I don't know anything about embroidery machines.

Can I see pictures of what some of y'all have made?

The Crafty Gemini had a good tutorial here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtLOTwbLaRg
Attached Thumbnails waynes-stockings.jpg