Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I use felted wool to make a quilt? >

Can I use felted wool to make a quilt?

Can I use felted wool to make a quilt?

Old 02-18-2014, 05:53 AM

Default Can I use felted wool to make a quilt?

I think I read some where that I could use wool. Is there a type of wool I could use. I have some knitted sweaters that some one has given me I might need something tighter in the material right? I just felted one to make a pr. of fingerless mitts for DH very cold digits. I now have most of the sweater left. I know there is so much I can make from it but was just wondering if it possible to quilt with it. I'm sure I would have to use the zig zag stitch with it. Do I put batting then a backing pc. or just sew the pcs. together and make that the quilt? Maybe a lap quilt or a tree skirt, Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Folks use felted wool for applique, because it doesn't fray. I love wool batting, but that is light and fluffy.
If you make an entire quilt of felted sweaters, it's going to be very, very, very heavy.
Having said that, there's no reason why you can't try. I would butt the pieces together & zigzag them, or use the QAYG technique that uses 1" sashing strips, which also butts the pieces together but conceals the edges. You could use a cotton fabric for backing, but I would skip the batting.
A small item like a throw or tree skirt would be a good size.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:29 AM

I went fishing the net. I found some wonderful quilts and some great idea's So I guess I answered my own question should have done that before posting so I did not have to waste any one's time... Just one of those stupid questions from a newbie. Thank you for answering me.