Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can paper-backed adhesive be used in printer? >

Can paper-backed adhesive be used in printer?

Can paper-backed adhesive be used in printer?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
iron the heat-n-bond to the back of your fabric and [obviously] leave the paper on.

set a stack of books on top of the prepared sheet(s). it will flatten nicely and should survice a trip through your printer. safer still is to change your printer settings so it expects the thickest paper it can handle.

just don't goof like i sometimes do by forgetting which side goes up. :lol:
Old 06-14-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltntime
Originally Posted by PatriceJ
iron the heat-n-bond to the back of your fabric and [obviously] leave the paper on.

set a stack of books on top of the prepared sheet(s). it will flatten nicely and should survice a trip through your printer. safer still is to change your printer settings so it expects the thickest paper it can handle.

just don't goof like i sometimes do by forgetting which side goes up. :lol:
Okay, something went wrong with my Reply....I'll try it again.

I have an HP Inkjet printer, but a little scared to try it, even with all the great suggestions.

Who's going first? Let me know, if it works. Just my luck, I would have to fish the fabric out of the printer piece by piece. ;)
Old 06-14-2010, 05:22 PM

The easiest way to figure out how your printer feeds is to mark the top page of regular paper with an X (I'm goofy so I write THIS SIDE UP when I do it) and put it in the paper tray to print on like you normally would. Test print something from some document and notice which side of the paper it prints on. I change printers often use this method with all of them. Whether I am printing on transparencies, photographic paper, etc. doesn't matter because the principle is the same.

You shouldn't have any problems but if you are really worried about the fabric peeling off the paper you could try using a really long stitch length and baste the edges?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
The easiest way to figure out how your printer feeds is to mark the top page of regular paper with an X (I'm goofy so I write THIS SIDE UP when I do it) and put it in the paper tray to print on like you normally would. Test print something from some document and notice which side of the paper it prints on. I change printers often use this method with all of them. Whether I am printing on transparencies, photographic paper, etc. doesn't matter because the principle is the same.

You shouldn't have any problems but if you are really worried about the fabric peeling off the paper you could try using a really long stitch length and baste the edges?
I don't really have a problem on the "right side" of the paper to print, my concern was the fabric peeling off. Basting would certainly illuminate that situation. Thanks for the input. :thumbup:
Old 06-14-2010, 08:11 PM

I hope that my suggestion helps. I have used a lot of freezer paper and rarely for what the original purpose. That would mean I would have to cook. :lol: Nobody wants that.

I didn't ask what kind of printer you are using but the laser printers would definitely worry me more than a bubblejet due to the heat. I would love to hear how this works for you.