Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can Pinking Shears be Sharpened?

I had this question recently asked quite often. The answer is yes. At home, you can try the old sandpaper trick. Using 220 to 80 grit sandpaper cut through the paper several times. If this doesn't work, it's time to send them to a professional sharpener. I sharpen them on a professional machine called a Twice As Sharp Sharpener.

As I previously mentioned to another member, you might consider purchasing a rotary cutter with a pinking or a wave blade. I know first hand that sales of pinking shears are down considerably due to the popularity of rotary cutters. I'm very familiar with the KAI 45MM Rotary Cutter. Their blades are made of very sharp high tungsten steel. I'm sure that the other major rotary cutter manufacturers like Olfa also offer these same blades too, and you can purchase them from a number of retailers. If you decide to this, do not purchase the inexpensive generic replacement blades. A number of my manufacturing customers have told that me that they dull quite quickly, and in the end their more expensive to use.

Michael

Wow-this is something I always wondered about-I have my aunt's pair and they wouldn't cut butter-thanks-I'll give the sandpaper a try!

Thanks for the info, Michael! :D

I haven't used my pinks in ages and had forgotten about the sand paper trick. Thanks so much!

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the great info and tips :D:D:D