Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can pinking shears be sharpened?

Power Poster

Can pinking shears be sharpened?

Can pinking shears be sharpened?

Or is it easier to toss them and replace them?

They can, but you need to find someone with experience with them.
    Sue

I'm pretty sure you can, the trick is finding someone to do it! We used to drop off shears at the sewing store (could possibly have been a singer store years ago) and a guy picked them up there, sharpened them, and dropped them back off. I still have my mom's old ones (Weiss?) and a pair of Fiskars. Never needed to sharpen either, although I'm sure mom's have been sharpened before (>30 years ago!). Good luck.

Just be carefull who you use, as they can as easily ruin them and sharpen them....especially pinking with all those angles.....prefer my pinkling roller blade, can by a replacement at more than half the cost of sharpening a pair of scissors......

Yes, they can be sharpened. My pinking shears are 45 years old! I've taken really good care of them and have had them sharpened only a couple of times, but it can be done.

You can also try cutting thru a few layers of alumium foil. It helps sometimes until you can find someone to sharpen them professionaly.

Thank you for asking this question bearisgray. I just received my MILs pinking shears as she has moved into assisted living facility and I was wondering the same thing.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Some of the fabric shops have one day a month, when someone comes in and sharpens scissors, knives, etc. Our Hancocks store does that here in Wisconsin.
    Karen from Appleton, Wisconsin

Blog Entries
    pinking shears can be sharpened as others have said but the hunt will be to find a 'professional' to do the task. during my clothes sewing days i kept a piece of fine grit sandpaper to cut through. i have the heavy pair of pinkers so they sit in a container and i use the pinking rotary blades now. much easier and lighter to use. good luck in your quest.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
    Thank you for asking this question bearisgray. I just received my MILs pinking shears as she has moved into assisted living facility and I was wondering the same thing.
    gagasmith i was just in the secret pal swap with a partner from finger lakes ny. what a coincidence to see this location name again. maybe finger lakes is a large city i don't know. peaceandjoy sent me two postcards for your respective city.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast