Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can rotary cutters fly?

My son works for TSA. He said it has to be in the checked bag.

I would put it inside of luggage, and not in your carry on bag. I also put mine in a sippered small bag, just to ensure I was trying to keep it enclosed, and no problems, hope this helps!
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

Mine has flown off my glass topped table when I move something and forgot it was there. Good thing I always put the blade in when I'm done.

Airplanes I have no idea. I don't fly.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I know Son declares guns when he is flying and going hunting far off. Sounds like DHaringer knows what to do.

I have taken mine in my checked bag with extra blades even. Check about the scissors. Those rules have changed greatly. Last time I flew I had forgotten a pair of craft scissors in my tote. They measured the blades. they were less that 4 inches. The scissors were handed back to me. I was shocked. Nail clippers, small scissors, clover thread cutter (the pendant thingy) all should be ok.
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Last time my DH and I flew we only had one checked bag. I have a small sewing kit that I take everywhere and as long as scissors are under 4 inches they can go with you onto the plane. I would pack the rotary cutter in checked baggage or leave it (the blade) behind. If in doubt leave it out. They will take it. Check the TSA web site as rules change all the time.
    Sue

I wonder if it would work to have the blades in the plastic container and the cutter without a blade????
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Quote Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
    I have taken mine in my checked bag with extra blades even. Check about the scissors. Those rules have changed greatly. Last time I flew I had forgotten a pair of craft scissors in my tote. They measured the blades. they were less that 4 inches. The scissors were handed back to me. I was shocked. Nail clippers, small scissors, clover thread cutter (the pendant thingy) all should be ok.
    I lost a pendant when trying to check on one time. They said the cover could snap off and it could be used as a weapon. Guess it was an over achiever at TSA??

Quite a few usually stationary things can get airborne in my sewing room especially when nagging and whining are introduced. Now seriously, I fly a lot and I am 100% sure that you can NOT have it in your carry on. Pack in in your checked luggage. It'll be fine. My dogs fly with me all the time, but once I was not even allowed to have their leashes with me. I had to go back to the counter and figure out how to get friggin leashes to my destination.

Blog Entries
    Check it through or leave one in the vacation home and one at your "regular" home as someone suggested. Can't take store bought, labeled, sealed jam or jelly either. There's a TSA website with guidelines that might help.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast