Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can/should I do this

Blog Entries

Can/should I do this

I'm in the process of making a scrappy Jacob's ladder (in blues). I will border with seminole border, also in blues & plain muslin. I need a narrow inner border ,before the seminole border. I want to use my stash, alas I don't have much dark/navy blue. I do have several navy (no 2 alike) fat quarters. Can I cut them 1.5 inches wide & join them and make a scrappy inner border.
    True4uca

Power Poster
    If you use enough of them, it will look intentional.

It seems like if one uses many shades of a color it looks okay, even if they usually don't go well together - but if only two or three shades of a color, they have to be more coordinated.

Since your quilt is scrappy, if the navy blues are similar in color, I don't see why it wouldn't work. In fact if they are such that you can kind of shade from one to another as you go around that might turn out really cool!
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Blog Entries
    Absolutely. Fold the fabric to the width you want and lay it against the edge to the quilt. Do you like it? If the colors work and enhance the body of the quilt, go for it. I make scrappy borders all the time. It is also okay if some of the blues don't quite look good together. If you place them in the border so they aren't next to each other they can work together. Post some pics so we can enjoy your progress!

peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

You have a great idea, just put them all together and see if you like it, if so march on.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I bet it would look great, give it a try and see. Then send pictures to us!
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I've done scrappy borders before. It's just a matter of placement of each strip. Lay them out first, end to end, and put along side one edge of quilt top. If it looks good, sew it on. If not, play with the strips until you like the way they look.

Sounds good to me. Even more so since it is scrappy anyway! The scrappier the better is what I've always heard!

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. I will do this, hopefully in the coming week. Have to finish another project first ( grin).
    True4uca

It's your quilt and your design - do what ever you want and enjoy the finished results!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast