Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can some one explain the differences please? ( cotton fabrics) >

Can some one explain the differences please? ( cotton fabrics)

Can some one explain the differences please? ( cotton fabrics)

Old 05-16-2010, 02:36 AM

Kona Cotton: http://www.robertkaufman.com/fabrics/kona_cotton/
note the weight

Homespun:
http://www.jubileehomespun.com/Fabri...y_the_Yard.htm

Muslin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslin

Calico:
http://www.stitchnsave.com/Calico.asp

Jois
Old 05-16-2010, 04:13 AM

Homespun is the exact same color on both sides, it's woven with dyed threads instead of being woven and then dyed with a print.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:25 AM
Banned

why don't you list the words you need explanations of and then we will define for you.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:35 AM
Banned

I didn't see a definitation of calico.
For me calico is an abandonded term. Back in the 70's and 80's it was used to describe a fabric with small floral or geometric prints rather than the bolder designs. I still think of it as being a design reproduced from an earlier time. Homespun is a woven fabric usualy associated with either solids or plaids or strips. Threads are dyed first and then woven rather than printed 9on the fabric. It is available in varying weights. Quilters prefer the more tightly woven types as they do not fray. Also they are associated with more primitative type designs. Printed homespun uses the same base cloth but is dyed and printed with designs.
There have been several descriptions of muslin. It is like the unprinted cotton fabric and comes in unbleached or natural color or bleached white. Although there have been colors of soft pastels which were great to work with as it gave an old fashioned look. There is another fabric that often is confused with muslin. It is called Ecology Cloth. Is great for quilts and looks a little like unbleached muslin but doesn't have the brown flecks in it.
the brown flecks in muslin comes from the cotton in which all the seed residue was not removed.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Funny, you really never hear about calico anymore, you're right! I read alot of historical books, and they talked about it alot!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:19 AM

the best muslin I've found is Rangefinder. Has that old fashioned look and is not thin.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:30 AM
Google Goddess

thanks for the links

Old 05-16-2010, 07:42 AM

One of the reasons Kona cotton is premium, is that it uses long staple cotton fibers- it gives the fabric a smoother feel, just the same as a premium 200 thread count sheet feels much different than a cheaper 200 thread count sheet- even if they are both made of 100% cotton. It wear better too.

Calico reminds me of Little House on the Prairie. If any of you remember the 70"s that is the little flowered fabric in small prints that all looked alike and came in ugly colors.

I have seen even in Joann's solid quilting cotton called "Calico". I think it's a generic term at this point.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Gal

Thankyou Jois for the links, I am not that computer savy yet I am going to study what you have put up. Where I live calico is not printed and it is used for curtain backing and also in a better quality for quilting and craft. The seeded one is my particular old fashiond favourite but you can get several different widiths from 90cm up to 2.50m and many different qualities from cheap (spit peas through) to the craft quality which has a much bigger thread count.
Thankyou all very much I understand a lot better now.
Gal
Old 06-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for all of the links and comments, I learn something new every day