Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can someone help me make a log cabin please

Blog Entries
    Nina,

I would use a consistent size for the blocks, but then I am a traditionalist.

If you use the same size square in the center, the same width of strips, and a consistent seam allowance, your log cabin blocks will come out the same size and you can use different layouts when they are done. You won't have to trim or fudge to make them fit, and the pattern will be more even.

If you want to see what it looks like using different sizes, draw a few on craft paper and put them next to each other. That way you can make a better decision.

I looked at those directions again and it actually starts with two complete strips sewn together and then you cut them into sections that would make up the center square and the first strip.

Look at the directions to see what I mean. Absolutely doesn't mean that you can't take the 1 1/2" square you have and a 1 1/2" strip and sew all the squares onto the strip then cut them apart.

One thing I would mention is to definately use a ruler to cut them apart as advised in the directions. I was doing some small ones and to save time I just used scissors and cut them. The blocks were a little wonky but that was OK because I was trimming them down anyway to my finished size.

Blog Entries
    Here is a piecing diagram
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Here are cutting templates for a 4 inch finished block

The templates are not lettered in the correct sewing order, for some reason EQ printed them out this way :roll:

Blog Entries
    Here are templates for a 6 inch block. the border around the blocks are the seam allowance. You can cut these out and use them to trace on cardboard, plastic or whatever works best for you :D :D :D

Blog Entries
    If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask all of us :D :D :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2