Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
can someone help please >

can someone help please

can someone help please

Old 07-21-2010, 10:33 AM

I am looking into getting a well i don't know the real names of them but there are free motion long arm quilting frames all i would like to know if you can use any sewing machine with them or do you have to buy the machine for them???
Old 07-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

Only a few frames are made for use with regular domestic sewing machines.

I think what you are asking about is the other type of frame. I believe to use those you need a machine with a longer "harp" and that faces you. (You face the head of the machine. With a regular domestic machine, you sit facing the wide body of the machine.)

If you could post a link to the type of frame you are considering, that would help people provide you with a definitive answer.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:22 AM

http://www.acesewvac.com/gqm-stu-lite1.html

thanks for the reply
Old 07-21-2010, 11:53 AM

Your quilting space would be limited by the throat size of your machine so if you have a domestic machine with a 6 inch throat you would only be able to quilt a small area at a time. I am not sure as I do not have a quilting frame but that is my guess. Someone will help you I am sure!!
Old 07-21-2010, 01:49 PM

With a standard machine you will be able to quilt about 9 inches before rolling. With a Juki or Brother maybe 12-13 inches.But then if you are doing a twin up you have to allow for the bulk for a fully wound quilt to go through the head.

For wall hangings, etc, it would work.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:55 PM

they sell these frames as combos with a machine- several models.
but yes you are limited to your design size
that being said alot of quilters do a very good job with these frames and domestic machines
if doing a larger quilt you will just need to remove it from the frame and reload( work from one end to the middle the reload quilting the other end to the middle)
but it can and is done
check yahoo groups there is a group for these frames and you can get alot of info there
Old 07-21-2010, 01:57 PM

thanks for all the info from every body again and will do serch on yahoo
Old 07-21-2010, 07:03 PM

There are many frames & even home-made frames that you can look at but all frames aren't created equal. Some can't be upgraded if you decide to get a mid-arm machine. Some won't expand larger than 8 feet, 10 feet or 12 feet. Some are very wobbly--some are rock solid. Some have bumpy tracks--some are smooth as glass. Some are easy to assemble and disassemble for storage--others are better left up all the time.

Some sewing machines do not do well on a quilt frame. They can't go fast enough or sew in multiple directions.

You should ask around your home town & visit quilt shops or home users that will let you "try-out" different setups until you get more of an idea what you need/want/expect/afford. Sign up for the yahoo groups homequiltingsystems http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homequiltingsystems/ and Machine Quilting Systems Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MQSG/

Once you get your choices narrowed down to just a few frames, there are specific yahoo groups for most frames & machines.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:45 AM

thanks a bunch will check them out
Old 07-22-2010, 07:50 AM

I have a Gracie II with a Pfaff GrandQuilter. The Pfaff is a "midarm"...meaning the neck is something like 9". The designs I can quilt are at most, 7" (I believe). The Gracie II will expand to accommodate a 18" necked machine.