Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can someone please explain:

What is the difference between a "doll quilt" and a "mini quilt"? I hate to sound dumb, but I joined a swap for a doll quilt(I have never one any kind of mini or doll quilt) and they look like minis but there must be a difference.

Margie

Usually doll quilts are pretty small from 12" square to 24" square and anything between. A mini quilt is usually like a wallhanging. This can be any size you want. You could say a doll quilt is a mini quilt if you prefer.

No help here, but I am so glad that you asked...I'll be checking on this thread to have this explained to me also.
    There's got to be some difference but it just isn't clear to me either. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene
    Usually doll quilts are pretty small from 12" square to 24" square and anything between. A mini quilt is usually like a wallhanging. This can be any size you want. You could say a doll quilt is a mini quilt if you prefer.
    I agree.

I think miniature quilts are also known for the block size. Rather than a single 12" x 12" block used for a miniature, several smaller blocks would be used. One I own has 9-patch units that measure 2 3/8" square. The miniatures at the International Quilt Study Museum are tiny - I do not know how people can work with such small pieces. I do not remember any of them having pieces larger than 1/2". Most of those quilts are less than 12" square.

Doll quilts are entirely different, from what I have seen here. They are an art form that allows for a great range of interpretation and expression.

Chele is an expert on doll quilts. You could PM her to ask for more information.