Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone please identify this block?

Can someone please identify this block?

Found this on Pinterest but it's a photo only. I'd love to know the name of the block. Thanks!

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-12-08 at 11.41.14 AM.png
Views: 3911
Size:  912.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Don't know the name, but I am interested in finding out. A beautiful block!

MTS
    Banned
    Don't have my books nearby, but it's an interesting grid.

It's 6x6, but (easily) constructed as 1.5, 1, 1, 1, 1.5.

Can't say I'm crazy about those salmon colors, but I do like the monochromatic coloring.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS View Post

Can't say I'm crazy about those salmon colors, but I do like the monochromatic coloring.
    I 'got' how to create a similar block by looking at it, but your 1.5, 1,1,1, and 1.5 for the grid really 'put it in writing' very well. Thank you.

QM
    Thanks for sharing this,
    The center 9 patch is a variant on Prairie Flower (square in a square added) I suspect the maker did as I often do and started with that basic block and played with it.

Using a 4" unit size, I think this would make a very nice wall hanging or wheelchair lap quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 

Quote Originally Posted by MTS View Post

Sorry if this is a dumb question but do you mean this is only a 6" block when completed (or are those ratios)?

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    Thanks for sharing this,
    The center 9 patch is a variant on Prairie Flower (square in a square added) I suspect the maker did as I often do and started with that basic block and played with it.

Using a 4" unit size, I think this would make a very nice wall hanging or wheelchair lap quilt.
    What a beautiful mock up! I envy you ladies who own quilting programs and know how to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by LoisM View Post
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but do you mean this is only a 6" block when completed (or are those ratios)?
    Never a dumb question, yunno! I believe the "6 by 6" means it is 6 units wide by 6 units tall. If a unit is an inch, then the block would be 6" x 6". If a unit were 4", then the block would be 24" square. If you look at the photo, there are 5 sections in each direction which look to be the same size (each is a unit) and then there are what looks to be a half unit on each far end (together they make up another unit, so the total on each side is 6 units).

QM
    Lois, a good quilt program (I much prefer Quilt Pro) is a great way to save patterns you like and wonderful for auditioning fabrics and colors without any fabric waste. The process of entering patterns also teaches one a huge amount about quilt design.

Blog Entries
    I have made this block before in the 90s. Funny how I can remember this but not what I did last week! Anyway, looked up my Thimbleberries pattern and is a 12.5 finished block called 'Painted Daisy' I only made one as the quilt was a flower sampler.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast