Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can these blocks be used creatively? -- ideas are welcome >

Can these blocks be used creatively? -- ideas are welcome

Can these blocks be used creatively? -- ideas are welcome

Old 01-17-2012, 06:44 PM

Default Can these blocks be used creatively? -- ideas are welcome

I have been given about 30 orphan blocks and wish I could think of something creative to do with them. The picture shows a few of them. They look pretty good at a distance.

Size of blocks is not consistent, and unfortunately the quilter who made them struggled with accuracy. A lot of the fabrics used are nice quality. I am thinking there must be some kind of scrap quilt that could be made by slicing up these blocks somehow.

I think we have to think outside of the box on this one, because the box is NOT square!

Dayle
Attached Thumbnails orphanblocks.jpg  
Old 01-17-2012, 06:59 PM

How large are the blocks? are you wanting to use all of them in one project or do you want to split them? I think we need a bit more information to help. I think they are lovely blocks.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:02 PM

Can you match some of the sizes to make mug rugs, placemants, or table runners?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:14 PM

Here's what I would do. I would measure the biggest one & add black borders onto the others till they are all the same size. Then I'd use red sashing as I sewed 'em together. Then I'd make a small red border then a wide black border to finish it off. Now you do what you want & it'll be great.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:23 PM

If you have so many you could probably pick the closest in size and use in a quilt. I would trim them to get them all close to the same size the ones that can be trimmed. Then I would put a border or sashing in between each block. I would probably use black and see if you can make a lap quilt out of them.

It looks like it might have been a block exchange at one point? If it doesn't work out the way you want it you can always machine quilt it and donate it. Someone will really like it. You have some beautiful blocks there!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:31 PM

I got to thinking & you could also make attic windows after you get 'em the same size.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

This answer may not be politically correct, but if they were mine then I would pass them on to someone else. It would take more of my time to figure out how to salvage them than to start over and make new blocks using designs and fabrics of my own choosing. I hate dealing with a mess, even if I'm the one who made it. However if you really want to make use of them, I like Wine Woman's suggestion.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:42 PM

They are 12" -13" and everything in between. No, I don't need to use them all up. Perhaps smaller projects would be more manageable for me.

I think this was a sampler project, although there are a few duplicate blocks. I am pretty sure they were all made by the same person. Triangle points are cut off, and corners don't match in many places. On most of them the quality is not really too good, but the colors are beautiful.

Thanks for the ideas so far!

Dayle
Old 01-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

Look up how to set the blocks "wonky". That is where you add the sashing and then intentionally recut them on a tilt. It will hide any size difference and is quite easy. I've been wanting to try the Sahadowbox pattern and these blocks would look good in that style too. The only block I might take out of the ones pictured is the orange one. All the rest will look great together. Good luck .
Old 01-17-2012, 07:55 PM

I would use all but the orange and black one and make it into a quilt.