Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can we make sizing? >

Can we make sizing?

Can we make sizing?

Old 08-01-2011, 06:04 AM

Is there a way to make sizing? It seems it was posted at one time but I cannot locate the ingredients or process directions with search.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Fan
Is there a way to make sizing? It seems it was posted at one time but I cannot locate the ingredients or process directions with search.
Are starch and sizing the same thing? I've found the thread about homemade starch here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-53662-1.htm

Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:09 AM

Maybe this will help,

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-91248-1.htm
Old 08-01-2011, 10:17 AM

Thank you for your reply. Sizing and starch are different and sizing is more expensive although one board member mentioned that she was able to find it at a $ store. This has been discussed previously and I think the receipe was included in a starch thread. I do not find it now after searching but I will try again.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:24 AM

I have been wondering ....and plan on trying but just haven't gotten around to it.
But...if the elmer's school glue can be used for attaching quilt binding...applique...etc and washes out, why couldn't water be added to it in a squirt bottle? The only problem would be figuring out the proper measurements.
Maybe will give it a try today.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by ibeesewin
I have been wondering ....and plan on trying but just haven't gotten around to it.
But...if the elmer's school glue can be used for attaching quilt binding...applique...etc and washes out, why couldn't water be added to it in a squirt bottle? The only problem would be figuring out the proper measurements.
Maybe will give it a try today.
Okay....just gave it a try. :thumbup:
It worked great no scorching or flaking with the iron. The fabric is flexible...yet crisp.

I just did a bing search for clear elmer's school glue and there is one available. The recipe that I made has a white cast to it. I suppose if you wanted it to be clear....use the clear glue.

My recipe:
1Tbs. Elmer's School Glue
3 C. Warm Water

I suppose if you wanted a heavier recipe just add a little more glue. You can also add the essential oils that others have suggested. Also...don't know if you would have to store in the fridge. Will keep it out for a few days and see what happens.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the recipe. There is a Niagra spray starch that does not flake, and in a non-aerosol trigger sprayer. It's all I use now, and it's really inexpensive. Even on black fabrics it does not show a single flake.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:22 PM

Thanks Sounds a lot easier than cooking homemade starch from cornstarch.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:29 PM

I'm a regular at our local Dollar Tree...I found sizing there for $1 (of course) and bought 3 cans; another amazing find there is Reynolds alum foil individual pieces, 25/$1.00. Also I buy all my "ziplock" bags there, sometimes I find the 2 gallon size which are great for projects.

Don't know the difference in sizing or starch; just have read that sizing is preferred on quilting projects....
Old 08-01-2011, 01:40 PM

Just had a flashback to childhood....remember my grandmother making Niagara starch on the stove....guess she dissolved powdered/cake starch in water ? Think she would actually dip the clothes in the starch water and hang them out to dry. When she got them in they were stiff as boards and she would then sprinkle them down, and put them in the refrigerator, although she called it an "ice box" ! My MIL used to starch and iron bed clothes and pillow cases; just what I want to do is to go to sleep on a starched pillow case ! Too, my MIL's family used to go to church camp every summer in Perry, MS and she told stories about having to wear the starched ironed clothes to two services each day and sleep in unairconditioned "tents"......which were really shack like homes on the camp grounds....glad I'm a softie!