Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can we talk about thread? >

Can we talk about thread?

Can we talk about thread?

Old 01-03-2015, 09:34 AM

I usually use Aurifil for piecing and Isacord for quilting (if i want that polyester shine). I stock up on neutral Aurifil colors when I see them on sale - there is a lot of thread on those big spools, so I do not find the price out of line at all. Isacord is easily found for about $4, also a lot of thread for the money - so I think it is a bargain. I have a stash of various colors of Mettler, Guterman, C&C that have been purchased for garment projects over the years, so I can almost always come up with a special color for a small project.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:49 AM

I have great things about aurfil thread, I think if you buy it you should buy in as a set I think its like 32 dollars to save money. I try to buy fabric as cheap as possible but If I decided to buy some I try to get on sale around 4-6 dollars a yard or less depending on the fabric unless it is a charm pack. I would see the places near you run a coupon sale some times that helps on fabric if its not on sale that's what I do when I go to hobby lobby.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:22 AM

Something I learned from this board is the use of a few neutral colors for piecing. That was a big mental change for me after many years of "garment" sewing that always meant standing in front of the thread displays matching thread to fabric lol. Because of this change I purchase mainly Aurifil 50 wt for piecing because my Babylocks love it, and along with my walking foot have helped me more consistently maintain a scant 1/4 inch in piecing . Those that have said its a very individual decision are giving you good advice because it really does depend on your machine and the look you want to achieve. If selling is what you're hoping to do, I hope you find a successful way to do that. Happy creating!
Old 01-03-2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by maminstl View Post
I usually use Aurifil for piecing and Isacord for quilting (if i want that polyester shine). I stock up on neutral Aurifil colors when I see them on sale - there is a lot of thread on those big spools, so I do not find the price out of line at all. Isacord is easily found for about $4, also a lot of thread for the money - so I think it is a bargain. I have a stash of various colors of Mettler, Guterman, C&C that have been purchased for garment projects over the years, so I can almost always come up with a special color for a small project.
I've used Isacord fro FMQ (It comes in TONS of colors and there is a lot on the cone!) Buying one cone of Isacord is going to be a lot cheaper than using C&C. I did one quilt with C&C with a lot of FMQ and I'm pretty sure I put more than $30-40 of thread on that quilt. That's when I switched to Isacord. I could do the same quilt in just 2 spools ($8!!!)

I've also used a shiny embroidery thread for FMQ which gives beautiful results if you want to draw some attention to your quilting. Right at the moment I'm trying out some "Intressa" for FMQ on a cone because it was available at the store/location I was visiting. I like that it's on a cone, but somehow the Isacord seemed to behave better tension wise on my machine.

For piecing I use my C&C I have left up in my cupboard. I also think the 'Intressa' will work for that purpose as well.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:23 PM

If you really want to talk thread go to www.superiorthreads.com and find a class on threadology near you. Bob is very well spoken and full of information. I have attended his talks at Sew Expo in Puyallup, Wa, of course he is trying to sell you on his thread (which of course I have used and love) but I also use all of the other brands you have listed and others as well. You want a clean thread that is durable do not cut corners and use serger thread for quilting trust me ask me how I know? Well of course I tried it and well after years of usage and lots of washing there is a lot of breakage and should be taken out and requilted but that is way to much work for me so I use it on my bed and love the education it gave me. by the way I am not affiliated in any way with Superior Threads or there representatives.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:25 PM

There seems to be plenty of responses to this question . As I'm kind of a "Thready" I have no answers for why I am attracted to thread. We all have our quirks I guess. I am totally sold on DMC for my piecing. For longarming...like Signature mostly. But, the quilt determines what goes on the quilt. Sometimes Omni, sometimes So Fine or Permacore.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:51 PM

I use YLI to hand quilt. I stock up when at the International Quilt Festival in Houston because they carry a wide color variety of hand quilting threads. I have a hard time finding hand quilting threads at all the local quilt shops, except in the very basic colors. I sometimes use this same thread to machine piece. I have been pleased with his thread.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:31 AM

Like some of the previous posters, I do not confine myself to just one type of thread. For piecing, I really do love SoFine by Superior., but I have used others. It is a smooth, non-linty polyester but is soft like cotton. I have big spools of beige and light grey, the only shades I use for the vast majority of my piecing. For quilting, I use all kinds of threads - Aurifil, Isacord, Yenmet metallics, King Tut, Gutterman, and other I can't remember. It depends on what the project is and what I can find locally. The only thread I don't use is C&C because the spools are too small and the thread is of uneven quality. (Small side rant:Why can I find lovely fabrics in lots of places but threads are so hard to find? Stores full of 1000s of bolts of fabrics have only C&C threads!). One of the best skills you can acquire in quilting is to know how to adjust your machine for multiple threads. It takes some fussing with tensions to get a perfect stitch, but it opens up entire worlds.

For fabrics, I generally look for local sales. I like to "fondle" my fabrics, to feel the hand, before I buy. Prices are better on-line, but I have bought only a few that way.

Pam
Old 01-04-2015, 06:46 AM

Default awesome video of thread

video of cotton verses polyester thread
http://www.superiorthreads.com/video...yester-thread/
Old 01-04-2015, 10:20 AM

if you like the brands you are using already, there's no need to switch unless you know you'd have fun trying out something different. if you do decide to experiment, just buy one or two spools of each new thing so you don't waste piles of money on things you find you don't like.

Patrice has a good idea !! I stuck with the same thread until one day I ran out at a class, I needed thread FAST. I had to buy something different. It turned out it worked better for me. Products are updated & improved over time. I've learned to experiment when things are on sale. Try it, you may discover a new thread you absolutely love.