Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can Winning Quilt be Entered in Other Contests? >

Can Winning Quilt be Entered in Other Contests?

Can Winning Quilt be Entered in Other Contests?

Old 06-20-2011, 07:02 AM

After a quilt wins a ribbon in one contest do any of you enter that same quilt in other contests? I'm talking about whether it's considered good taste if the contests are in the same general area...say within 100 miles.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:05 AM

It all depends on what sort of show it won in and what the rules are of any subsequent shows.

I am running a quilt show/contest at a costumer's convention here in Phoenix next May, and I am not restricting entries. I don't care if it's been entered in/won a prize in another show, I just want *my* show to have some great entries!

Other 'serious' shows may restrict prior winners to being 'display only', not competitors.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:16 AM
Banned

depends on the show rules. you will see some winning quilts traveing from show to show - winning ribbons at each show. So read the show ruls carefully Only a few make such restriction.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:17 AM

It depends on who runs the show, but generally, yes, you can enter other contests.

You'll need to read the rules, though. Some shows only want work that hasn't been shown anywhere else, or made within a certain time frame. If you enter the Mancuso shows, you can enter another only if you haven't won cash at a previous show. The American Quilters Society also has specific rules covering multiple show entries.

Janet
Old 06-20-2011, 07:22 AM

Thanks so much for your replies. This particular show really doesn't have any rules at all...they just want entries to display. Not AQS, just a local guild.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

Some national quilt wins have been quilts that have been in the making for several years. The winning quilts makes the show circuit and most usually stop in Paducah where the big prize is given only if you give your quilt to the museum. I know many of the Houston winning quilts win in Paducah. The local shows I have been too, the quilt can't be entered if it has been in that same show before.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

i would guess it depends on the venue- some shows do not allow a quilt that has been previously shown elsewhere- some allow it as long as *they* have not seen it before,
some encourage you to enter in as many places as you can- but each place to enter a quilt has it's own set of rules-

i don't think it is a bad thing to enter your project in a show, the fair, a lqs offering it---all in the same area- as long as you follow the rules.
i have a number of quilts that have been in shows and entered at the fair.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Ditto on check the rules for both shows and make sure you are in compliance.

Some shows have a limitation that the quilt must be made within the last # years. Also, whether it can be washed after completion or not.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:45 AM

No. Just retire it and move on.